saw choice for miter cuts

There is almost always more than one way to perform any given operation in a WW project. But in general, all things being equal, which machine would you reach for when making a miter cut, or any similar angled crosscut that needs to be as precise as you can make it. Is there reason to believe, for example, that a table saw, properly set up, would give superior results? Would the miter saw. Does it depend entirely on the settup of the machine? or is it simply user preference?

Reply to
Doug

Any method will work in the hands of some one skilled and who cares enough to get it right. I reach for the easiest tool first. So if it were under 10 or so inches wide I would use the miter saw. Larger pieces would require a tablesaw. max

Reply to
max

Reply to
GerryG

=================== Looks like nobody has replied to your question....

All I an say is that my TS is more accurate then my CMS...so for any critical work the TS gets the nod....if trimming a house then the CMS is good enough...

The Key word above is MY.... in referencing the TS & CMS ...... Other guys may have a killer CMS and a cheap TS...

Bob Griffiths My way is not the only way >>BUT with MY tools its the best way

Reply to
Bob G

Before I had a miter saw or a table saw capable of cutting a miter accurately I did one on my router table and another and my belt sander. I dont recommend those methods.

Reply to
toller

I've been cutting window and door trim for longer than I like to remember and prefer to use the table saw. I was taught that way and haven't found a better way in all these years. I have used a mitre saw on small jobs where there was only a door or two and where the table saw was not needed. You can make the joints look good with a mitre saw but it does not seem as easy to me. Of course I've seen guys trim all the doors and windows with a mitre saw so maybe it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

When I need a true mitre cut, i.e. making picture frames, I cut them at the table saw. For most everything else, I use my dewalt chop saw. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

For the most precision make the initial cut slightly oversized with any miter method and make the final cut with a Lions Miter Trimmer:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Personally, I love my 12" Dewalt dual bevel miter saw. Mark

Reply to
Mark

You can get a very precise miter using a purpose-made miter saw, a table saw, any of numerous types of hand saws, a Swiss Army knife, or a handheld rodent. But you'll find it far, far less hassle to do it with the purpose made miter saw than with the rodent.

In other words precision comes from the workman, not the tool, but by using a purpose made tool you can achieve a desired degree of precision with far less effort and with significantly higher production volume than the alternatives.

Reply to
J. Clarke