Stanley No 5 jack plane

I picked one of these up at a sale (incredibly cheap) and I want to sell it since I already have one. It's newish -- even the brass screws look great. About how much is it worth, say on Craigslist?

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

The newer it is, the less it's worth.

Maybe $20?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I agree maybe $ 20.00 I checked ebay they go from 10-25 depending on condition

Randy

randyswoodshoop

I agree maybe $ 20.00 I checked ebay they go from 10-25 depending on condition

Randy

doesn't go too far to explain why it's on Craig's list for $75

The Davenport's

On a side note...

While I was checking Amazon for the prices of new Stanley planes, I saw this review, about a Stanley "Contractor Grade" #4:

" Better smoother plane than most others.,

May 29, 2006 By WoodHog - See all my reviews

I purchased this great little plane after ruling out some over priced used, abused & neglected planes. Plastic handles are a big plus moisture changes should not cause them to loosen. The special frog screw makes adjustment easy & accurate. My planes sole is machined or ground perfectly flat. I have not sanded mine to a mirror finish yet. I might just to reduce friction. I did remove the clear coat from the 1" blade above the bevel using acetone prior to sharpening otherwise clear coat will clog sandpaper or stone used to sharpen. I did try a mico bevel as instructed in the manual & didnt like the performance. A single razor sharp bevel performed / pushed like a dream when working on a flat 12" x 8" OAK board that was cupped slightly. This was done of course after using the contractor grade jack plane with plastic handles." "

Dang! I've been selling myself short by using my "used" Stanleys, as well as ripping myself off by spending money on Veritas, LN, and Hock tooling! The reviewer bought a "perfectly flat" brand new Stanley #4, for $40!

And _he_ dosen't have to deal with pesky wood handles, like I do!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Going to have to deal with greater adhesion if he polishes the sole, unless he waxes it.

With used going for less than new hereabout, I'm trying to equip the extended family with the common bench planes from that market.

Reply to
George

If that's all it's worth, I think I'll just hang on to it and use it. Thanks for the help everyone.

S.

Reply to
samson

How old? What's the most recent patent date cast into the deck?

Reply to
Father Haskell

I don't see a patent date on this one. It's too new, I think. I also got a No 7 with a Patent date "2 8 76" and a couple of more numbers -- forge numbers I would guess. It's in super shape, with 90 percent of the japanning still let. I plan to use this one though, not sell it.

S.

Reply to
samson