Jet Jointer

I'm considering a new Jet JJ-6CS jointer. The machine looks like a real value. I'm a little concerned, though, that the knives seem to be proprietary. I can't find one other manufacturer (Frued, for instance) making knives in that size. Knives in this size catagory from Freud and others cost 30 dollars a set or less. Jet knives cost 60 to 70 dollars a set. I see some complaints about their durability although those complainers seem to still like the machine well enough. Any comments?

Thanks much.

TLE

Reply to
ellestads

If that jointer has straight knives, EVERYONE makes replacements, probably including a sharpening shop near you.

With straight knives, you simply select them by size (ex: 1-1/4" x 6" x 1/8") vs. replacements for a specific machine. Jointers are very low tech machines.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Have you tried here?

have the same jointer and have bought knives from them.

Max

Reply to
Max

I won one of those jointers and I'm happy with it. It takes

6-1/16" X 5/8" x 1/8" knives and there are many sources for it.
Reply to
Artemus

[arggh] I *have* one of those jointers .... I didn't win one. Art
Reply to
Artemus

Thanks Max!

This is the first web site I've seen that lists this size. I think that the Jet will be my machine.

TLE

Reply to
ellestads

Thanks Art!

Global no longer shows this size on their web site. I didn't call them though. I'll check with them.

Yeah, I wasn't looking at carbide - it's just that wherever I priced Jet knives (including with my rather astonished dealer) they were between 60 and 70 bucks a set - HSS.

If I can get knives for what you say ( and it looks like I can from what you guys are showing me) I won't worry about it anymore.

TLE

Reply to
ellestads

ointers and I'm happy with it. =A0It takes

Hi Art -

I got worried when I couldn't find the size on Freud, International, or Global web sites. Thanks for the feedback.

TLE

Reply to
ellestads