Staining Pine floors

HELP!!! I've laid 1x5 yellow pine flooring in the living room. Looks great unfinished, but now I need to sand and finish it. I don't want the "country" look of unfinished pine. I would rather have a deep yellow, amber, orange, etc. color instead of the natural light color. I've found a color, Madera Gold, that I like, however, I am wondering about pine splotching.

I've heard several ways to do this and was just wanting some opinions from people who've had luck with pine.

1) spitcoat of varnish before staining? the prestain conditioners did not do the job I had expected. since the conditioners block the stain, I ended up with a color about 5 shades too light 2) treat the wood with lye before staining? 3) use a natural stain first, then color stain on top, then the poly or wax?

Also, poly or waterlox? I'd hate to put plastic on the floor, and waterlox is a tung oil based wood floor finish. has anyone used this?

Looking for someone who's had good experience with finishing pine floors.

In fact, if you go to a wood flooring site called leblanc flooring,

the first picture that comes up is exactly the color I am going for.

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
jo_jo

Against all advice, I am trying shellac on my hallway floor. The hall looks beautiful! After four months it still looks great. I know that shellac stains with standing water and alcohol spills, however, I also know fixes fast and easy.

I'm going to give a year or so before I decide to poly over it or do the living room with shellac.

Dave

Teamcasa

shellac? I'd love to see pics if you have any! I've also been tempted by shellac as I've heard poly just can't bre repaired easily.

Reply to
jo_jo

A picture posted on ABPW

Teamcasa