gasoline spilled on unfinished pine flooring

We are in the process of finishing a cabin we purchased. Unfortunately the pine wood flooring is already installed. Since we are WAY down a private road (two track) we do not have electric yet. So while working there we are using a generator. We have done well placing plastic under it when we take it in from outside to store while we aren't there. But we recently had a roof and siding put on and the builder who did the work spilled gasoline from it on the unfinished pine flooring. And he walked in it. So I have several large spots in the bedroom and foot prints in the living room. Our plan is to eventually put a clear finish on it. Is there anything that will remove the gas stains on the bare wood? If we cannot get the oily looking stain out we will have to replace the wood, which will be a bit of a chore as it is screwed down.

Thank you.

Reply to
Autumn

I don't exactly know the answer for you.

I have used mineral sprits to help clean engine oil that soaked into a dresser top. The dresser is Cypress wood and was in a garage many years ago, with car parts on it. It was given to me and I cleaned it up and stained it. I still use it.

I still had to do some sanding to get the grain down a bit, so you cannot see the stain.

Let the wood dry well before any finish.

-- Oren

Oren

There is a good chance that gas will evaporate on its own, given time. I got some WD-40 on a deck once, and thought it would never come out, but it did. Took awhile.

Reply to
marson

Autumn,

I bet this will come out with sanding. After most of your construction is done you will need to sand all of your floors any way. So take care of it then. In the meantime don't bring the generator into the house, use extension cords or the house's wiring..

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

It's best to sand in the direction of the grain.

Reply to
HeyBub

I like to sand upside down.

One of my grandfathers was a bat.

Reply to
mm

I hope you are right. Unfortunately we have to keep the generator in the cabin as we have no shed to store it in when we are not there. It is too heavy to take back and forth.

Reply to
Autumn

or wipe the whole floor down with the substance to unify the look. then finish accordingly

Reply to
Mick

on 9/12/2007 9:08 PM Autumn said the following:

To prevent future spills on the floor, how about a note on the generator advising the Gomers not to fill the tank while the generator is inside?

Reply to
willshak