Opinions please on pine flooring in a bathroom

Working on a cabin up north. The whole thing already has pine flooring, so far unfinished. Just 1"x12" (I think it is called 1x12, but really looks about 1/2" x 10" or so) boards screwed over the particle board sub floor. It was just roughed in when we bought it. Wall framing is up, rough plumbing in and decisions need to be made now about the bathroom flooring. Is a few coats of good acrylic or polyurethane good enough? Or should we consider tile of some sort?

Also, is there any clear liquid we could use to partially fill the cracks between the boards in case there is a water spillover from the tub to prevent serious damage? I don't want to fill the cracks completely, unless it still looks like it has cracks so it looks natural, but a partial fill would be wonderful and would keep out all the sand that is going to be in the house because it is very sandy there.

Just trying to make some decisions over the winter before we return to work more on it.

Thanks

Reply to
Autumn

We have two bathrooms and a kitchen with pine board finish floors. We've been using them since 1979. Cracks are a problem. I would suggest a two part epoxy filler. It will take a lot of material, but and will help fill the floor. We used poly on the floors and that works well. The kitchen floor takes a lot more wear than the baths and has been refinished twice since the original work. T

Reply to
tbasc

Reply to
Craig M

Thank you for the replies. I have printed them both out and I am glad to hear I can get away with using the floor that is already there in the bathroom. I had not thought about the fact that it would not get as much wear as the rest of the areas. I will also have some throw rugs down and that warms the floor up a bit. Now if I could just figure out how to get a few gasoline stains off of it. They got spilled from a generator we are using till we get the electric in. I so wish the floors were not almost done when we started working on it.

Thank you, I appreciated the advice.

Autumn

Reply to
Autumn

Autumn, I have had a wood floor in a bathroom, and it was fine, but be sure you don't put any rugs or bathmats down and leave them there. The trapped moisture will damage the floor.

Reply to
marson