Laminate Flooring in Bathroom

This weekend I'm going to be laying some laminate flooring in my bathroom, I've bought flooring thats moisture resistant and supposed to be suitable for this (AquaLoc). I know that normally you are supposed to leave an expansion gap around the edge, and cover it with a an edging trim, however I don't particularly like the look of these and, more importantly, want to seal the edge by the bath, shower and basin to make sure no water splashes seep under the floor. The floor area is only about

2.0m x 1.5m, so I'm not sure how much, if any, expansion there will be. I was planning on just using some silicone bath sealant to do this, perhaps leaving a small gap along the edge and ensuring that the sealant fills this gap. Also, as the existing floor is sound and flat (chipboard) I was't planning on using an underlay, to avoid movement of the flooring and breaking the seal. Does anyone have experience of this, will it work, is there a better way? Thanks for any advice. David.
Reply to
DavidM

I'm no expert but there shouldn't be much expansion over that small area and I would think a 4 or 5mm gap filled with sealant should be fine. Still wouldn't hurt to put some underlay under the laminate though. The stuff I used was like a thin (no more than 3mm thick) foam sheet. There shouldn't be enough movement to be a problem for the sealant - especially not at the edges of the room as you never walk right at the edge.

John

Reply to
Nodge

Hey Dave :-)

I plan to do something similar. When visiting Alco's I noticed two pieces of wood (40mm by 40mm by 10mm, which had been glued together with a

10mm gap using Sika-flex EBT.

I have had it at home for two months and often pick it up to play with while reading the screen. I can fold the wood pieces until the faces meet, and I can twist it 90 degrees. It stretches twice the width (I haven't tried to rip it apart as such), and compresses to 7mm.

I don't know the price cause I haven't bothered, as yet, to find out.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL