Spool Cabinet Prototype

also posted to a.b.p.w.

I haven't been posting much here lately because I was working on some of my metal sculptures, however, following are links to pictures of a prototype spool cabinet I'm making for a friend.

#1 Clear Lexan door is reflecting some of the trees. All the materials with the exceptions of the piano hinge, dowels and some of the fasteners are salvaged. This version is 12" x 18" and holds 44 spools. The final version will be about 18" x 32" and hold over a hundred spools. The frame is held together with pocket holed screws.

The door is held shut my a rare earth magnet set into the side and sticks to one of the nuts on the door pull.

The door pull is made from a piece of metal strapping cut to shape with a jewelers saw. Copper wire is then wound around the handle and brazed. The small bolt heads have been brazed to the handle, ground down and incised. Some minimal polishing followed.

soon as she comes by and gives the 'okay' I'll be ready to make the final cabinet. FWIW this is the 2nd prototype...the first she didn't prefer.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote