Spacing on stairway gate

I have a stairway leading to my basement. I am going to put up a gate across the stairs. There is an existing guard around the rest of the stairway. As I see it the code for this guard is asking for a maximum spacing of 4 inches. The existing guard meets this specification. In looking at code for gates it appears that the minimum spacing is 2 3/8 inches. Why closer spacing for gates as opposed to guards? Anyone ever see a baby with a 2 3/8 inch head?

The purpose of the gate is to keep adults from falling down the stairs, no babies involved.

Reply to
Ray

Maybe the max is for baby heads .. and the min is for little hands & feet .. ? Just guessing. John T.

hubops

Hate to confuse this any more - but -

- Ray - you have just altered your original post .. .. 2 3/8 was minimum - now ir's maximum .. ? John T.

hubops

Forget the spacing. Use hardwood plywood, hinge one side and latch the other. I would make it 42" or less high. 24" seems way too low for adults.

RP

Reply to
RP