Stair gate for elderly person

An elderly lady that I do odd jobs for has been recommended to have a safety gate fitted at the top of her stairs (she's in a first floor flat). Her bedroom door is immediately opposite the top of the stairs and there's a concern that she might get up in the night and walk out the bedroom door and forget to turn right or left!

A hinged gate is not really suitable - a bit obstructive when open, and I think that baby safety gates are too low (she might just tip over the top). Tried googling but all I get is baby gates.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
DavidM

Try searching on

we have produced a variety of such barriers for similar purposes including lifting barriers and sliding ones. If you don't find anything suitable get in touch and I'll ask our Panels what they have done recently.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Social Services sometimes supply these; their Occupational Therapists could probably suggest a suitable model at least.

The wall mounting baby gates can usually be mounted at any height desired.

The DLF factsheet notes that a confused person might try to climb over the barrier which could make things worse.

Here's one made by Remap

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try Ikea. They do a wooden one that is screwed to the walls either side, so doesn't need the usual (trip hazard) bar across the floor.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's just what I was about to suggest. They're usually quite helpful even if you just pick their brains for ideas to "do it yourself".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I used a folding support rail as used in disabled toilets for my father. They are far stronger than child safety gates and fold into a small space. They are not suitable if the user might fall under the rail.

Reply to
dennis

Would a PIR attached to the landing light do the trick, so she wouldn't be in the dark - or is it more a question of confusion and/or poor vision?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks all for replies.

It is more a question of confusion/unsteadyness rather than eyesight, so I think some sort of physical barrier is a better option, but space is limited as there's also a stair lift chair parked at the top of the stairs. Some sort of pivoted lifting bar/barrier seems best in terms of fitting and ease of use, but I'm concious of of the possibilty of her falling over the top, or under, it.

I'll try DSS and Age UK to see what they say.

David (using Google as newsgroup seems inaccessible via Virgin Media at present)

Reply to
DavidM_UK

PIR turning on a landing light can easily make matters worse. It tends to disorient elderly frail people as their eyes don't adapt quickly. If a PIR is used it is often better to switch a low wattage diffuse light.

Have a look at the two pictures attached to

I'll try DSS and Age UK to see what they say.

For a formal solution she will need an assessment by an occupational therapist. Other than standard stair gates they don't have much. The DLF database is at

I couldn't find anything useful at a quick look.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I was looking for the same thing. The elderly often have balance problems so it is a safety precaution. I'm amazed there is nothing out there and the ones for babies just wouldn't be strong enough

Reply to
StevoYO2

This is a problem I have thought about, as my path from bedroom to WC takes me past the top of my stairs often when I am only half awake. I though of a gate, some of the pet gates are quite strong, but realised that all I need is a bit of 2 x 4 hinged on the wall that can be dropped onto the landing handrail, just by the top newel post. If I fall against it, the hinge will hold one end and the newel post the other.

Reply to
nightjar