Small Wood Gloat

I was at a friend's house today. He's a mortician. He was getting ready to go to the dump and I noticed what looked like a coffin lid next to his garage. Upon closer inspection, I saw it was solid cherry. Under it were the sides of the coffin. I asked him what it was, just to be sure I wasn't imagining things. He said it was a coffin used in cremation and that the "customer" was a rather large individual so the sides and lid couldn't be used. I asked if he was hauling it to the dump too and he said yes. He must have seen the "are you outta your mind?" look on my face because he said "Do you want it?" I said Heck yeah so we loaded up the pieces in my truck. One of the sides is solid and the other is veneer ply for some reason but the solid parts are big enough to make a real nice mission style coffee table. I'll have to make it to sell though as my wife said it's not gonna come in the house.... she's a bit squeamish about things like that for some reason but anyhoo... I thought it was worth posting. :-)

Will

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

wood is wood. Wouldn't matter to me if it came from a slightly used casket.

good for you!

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Cool. Creepy. Sucky.

Reply to
Silvan

Good for you! Straight-up score on some good project cherry wood. Congrats!

Reply to
AAvK

NorthIdahoWWer writes: He said it was a coffin used in cremation and that the "customer" was a rather large individual so the sides and lid couldn't be used. I asked if he was hauling it to the dump too and he said yes. He must have seen the "are you outta your mind?" look on my face because he said "Do you want it?" I said Heck yeah so we loaded up the pieces in my truck. One of the sides is solid and the other is veneer ply for some reason but the solid parts are big enough to make a real nice mission style coffee table. I'll have to make it to sell though as my wife said it's not gonna come in the house.... she's a bit squeamish about things like that for some reason but anyhoo... I thought it was worth posting. :-)

Definitely worth posting. I think that's something I'd slip into the shop when my wife wasn't looking--that is assuming she'd care, which she wouldn't. That way, there's no reason for her to be squeamish (again, an assumption: that you don't tell her the source of the wood in her new table).

Reply to
Charlie Self

What the heck, I've slipped many tools into the shop without her knowing. Why not wood, too?

Come to think of it, I have slipped wood into the shop. She has this...... thing where she assumes if you buy a peice of wood, that means you have plans to use it for a particular project.

I don't, always.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

So if you don't use it for a particular project, what do you do with it? =>

Hoard it up, sell it for cash and then buy the tool you really want?

Reply to
Upscale

I think that's something I'd slip into the

Well since my shop is my garage, it would have been hard to slip something that big by her. If/when I get a separate shop, then that would be easier... disassemble and cut it up before it could be discovered where it came from.

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer