small gloat + name that wood

Over the holidays I attended a funeral for a distant relative, afterward another relative gave me 3 different woods taking up space in his garage (he is a construction superviser).

20 bf cherry in 2.5 x 2 " boards 10 bf ipe (man that stuff is heavy) + 1 board shown below

anyone identify this, I think I know what it is, but would like confirmation.

Thanks,

Todd

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

Geeze, if I had relatives like that I might go to their funerals. Oh well.

Hickory?

Reply to
toller

depends somewhat on where you are, but my first impression of that board was black locust. it's hard to tell the color from the photo. if the sapwood has a distinct yellowish-greenish cast, then maybe. if not, then maybe ash, although the bark seems too thick. i don't know what mulberry looks like, but that's supposed to have a yellowish tinge to it as well.

jon e

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

post a picture of the bark.