small gloat

Found at Lowes tonight:

Milwaukee JobSite radio: Price: $99. Yellow tag clearance: $55.

Well built; sturdy; great sound. Replacing my ancient Sony boom box circa

1982, with crappy reception and sound.
Reply to
bob

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I've taken to carrying Jefferson Airplane tapes wherever I go these days. Nothing worth listening to on the radio any more.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

There's a couple of good Guy Lombardo collections available on CD. Also the Ozzie Nelson Orchestra with Harriet Hilliard. Oh and I actually own one of the Lombardos. Bought it so I could play Auld Lang Syne (sp?) on New Years. Turns out the rest of the music isn't as square as some would have you believe. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Amen! I have no idea why I bother to buy cars with radios in them anymore.

Reply to
mttt

not true in Tucson. we have an excellent radio station- kxci. it's a community radio station- not owned by some giant soulless corporation. it has actual DJs who choose their own actual music to play. variety all over the place. I regularly hear stuff there that blows me away. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Cause buying them with radios is the onoy way to get a tape player in them??

John

Reply to
John Crea

Reply to
Mark

Thanks, Mark.

I'm a talk radio fan and my old Sony just won't pick up anything anymore. The JobSite pulls 'em in strong.

bob

Reply to
bob

Try the low end of the FM dial -- 88-90mHz -- where the college/university stations are. There are some surprises to be found there.

To get the tape or CD player, the radio just 'comes along'.

I'm lucky. I live in the Chicago area; We've got: 1) a full-time classical station (admittedly they have a 3-hour-a-week "aberration" -- THEIR word, not mine -- that can be folk music, and _anything_ else. It's _still_ "good stuff". One week they ran _every_ version of the story of 'Little red Riding Hood" they could lay their hands on. One after the other. Must have been _at_least_ 15 of them. I got laughing so hard I had to pull off the road and park, till they finished. The more memorable ones included: the "Thurber Carnival" version, the Stan Freburg "Dragnet" spoof, and Henry Morgan (*NOT* Harry Morgan of Dragnet/MASH fame) telling it as a classic French Fairy Tale. It didn't help that they did a -marvelous- job of sequencing -- from the straightforward recitations to the more, and *more*, outrageous. 2) a commercial station that runs lots of 'classical jazz'. And a fair bit of 'modern'. On *different* programs, thank goodness. :) 3) another station that runs big-band music at least 20 hours/week. Les Brown, Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, "The Thundering Herd", 4) Blues -- of course. 5) the 'mostly jazz' station used to have a "torch song" show, too. 6) pop, rock -- undoubtedly, but don't ask me _where_ to find it! :) 7) Country/western -- same story.

And, late nites, I used to listen to "KUSD", the University of South Dakota station at _Vermillion, SD_. Yeah, here in _Chicago_. over the air, -not- a rebroadcast. I had a nice sensitive receiver, and was apparently in 'just the right location'. I could get them fairly regularly, although the neighbors _never_ heard the station. They were good for the "Report from Hoople" (SD) -- hosted by Prof. Schickle (of P.D.Q. Bach fame).

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Try your public radio station. Or...there must be some alternative radio stations around. There remains some interesting and good music on the airwaves...one just has to try a bit to find it.

Yey, Lombardo did a lot of Latin music that has quite a perky beat to it....Great stuff. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt