sizing home jointers and planers?

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That is a different common sense than I know. But perhaps that is because I worked for 34 years in a VA hospital, where things were often done because ...

Reply to
Han

The lumber at my HD is as good or better

No, I was getting #2 lumber then, just as now.

Not around here. If fact, long before the 70's old growth (domestic) lumber was all but non existent around here. Most all old growth forests were cut and milled long, long ago, and the few remaining are not accessible to loggers.

In the 70's, old-growth redwood was common

In the early 70's I bought a redwood picnic table. I actually thought it was Redwood. When I started assembling it, turned out it was really white wood (pine) stained red. I actually, in my youth, called the Better Business Bureau and he asked if it was Redwood or redwood...

Anyway, I didn't think Redwood grew anywhere but California, and cutting those babies was not happening anymore?

Reply to
Jack

If you'd read what I wrote, you would have noticed the "In the 70's" and "good luck finding it today".

As it happens, there is still quite a bit of redwood being cut, as it grows relatively fast. None of it is old-growth (100+ year old trees), the few that are left are protected.

Of that which _is_ being cut, there is much less heartwood, which is the most insect and rot resistant. Most wood fencing material in california is redwood, still.

scott (still holding onto two nice redwood burl slabs - 48 x 30 x 3 waney).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

From someone who has been a patient at a VA hospital for 40 years. my sympathies. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:LqKdnZOh1o9OQxjSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm sorry you were a patient for 40 years (I hope you were at least an outpatient, not actually in a bed in the VA for all that time). But kidding aside, I believe the Manhattan VA is an excellent hospital, with caring health professionals up and down the ranks. I was a bench researcher all that time. No patient care whatsoever. I did use a bit of their employee health care, and those experiences were good if not excellent.

It's in general the bureaucracy that is invoked when not really always necessary, and immediately discarded when inconvenient to the rulers.

Reply to
Han

I did read what you wrote, ergo my reply.

I wondered where they were getting redwood, I mean Redwood.

Someone once gave me old Redwood picnic table that was actually Redwood. I think it was one of the only Redwood things I owned. It rotted and I salvaged what I could and made stuff for around my pool. It was nice, but really soft wood.

Reply to
Jack

No, $26,071 out the door new in Dec 2007. Standard cab, 6.5' standard bed, Northwest towing package (radiator, 2" receiver hitch, larger battery/alt/wiring), SR5 sport package, 4.7L small V-8, A/C, power windows/doors, lovely TAN interior (I abhor gray!)

OK, checking on a brand new one today: I can't get a V-6 without going to a freakin' double cab, so 4-cyl w/5sp auto it is. $26,141. The local Ford dealer wanted about $40k for the same vehicle when I was doing my research in '07.

-- Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power. -- Henry George

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL I think the terminology is "numbers", not patients. The loudspeaker in each clinic is continually bellowing out: "Now serving Numbers 756,

757, 758, ...), which means you get to proceed to another window, and take another number. ;)
Reply to
Swingman

Scratching head.... was that sticker??? Probably not, I paid exactly $28k drive out but the truck stickered for $34K+

But I got,,... ;~) 5.7 V* and honestly getting just under 17 mpg on average in town driving. 6 auto speed trans, 4 door, SR5, running boards, bed protector, towing package, AC and pwr doors windows, Stipe, tinted front windows, Toyota alarm with glass break, mats, sliding back glass, Alloy wheels, tool box under back seat, extra sound deadening.

And a beautiful grey interior and charcoal grey exterior. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Where I think the quality/price battle is being lost is in educating the purchaser. Menards carries 4x8 sheets of Birch-faced plywood. One stack is priced at $30, and the other stack is priced at $40. What's the difference?

There's nothing on the display to indicate what's different and the guy at the store doesn't know, so how am I supposed to make an informed decision? All I have to go on is price, and lower is better.

I don't mind paying extra for better quality, but you have to show me where to look.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Swingman wrote in news:EsidnZEfx_SjkxvSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The pharmacy windows in the Manhattan VA were just off the main lobby, and by golly were those lines long ...

Reply to
Han

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:15:59 -0500, Leon

I've always wondered how that works? What's to stop a nearby neighbour from sinking an oil well in his back yard? My thought is that they'd both be siphoning from the same pool of oil. Does the first neighbour have whole or partial rights to that pool of oil? How do they determine who owns what and who has a right to access it? Does a surface land owner just have rights down into the ground just for his square surface land rights? And finally, how deep do those rights go?

Honestly, the whole thing seems like a cluster*uck waiting to happen.

Reply to
Dave

As long as he owns all the mineral rights, only the cost of drilling the well. There are also state laws which may prohibit drilling in certain areas.

That's a good chance, depending upon the size of your tract, and the size of the producing reservoir. in most states, whoever can siphon it off the fastest gets to keep what he produces from his tract, regardless of the size of the reservoir.

Depends upon whether he owns any of the mineral rights. And he even if he does, he may be forced to drill himself to get any of it, depending upon the "pooling" acreage requirements of the state.

That varies from state to state, but whoever owns the mineral rights can be determined by researching the records in the county or parish courthouse where the deed records are kept.

That depends upon whether the mineral rights were sold with the surface rights. In many cases, particularly in parts of the country where there is a history of oil and gas production, mineral rights are often severed and reserved from the surface rights.

And finally, how deep do those rights go?

All the way to the center of the earth. :)

Drilling for oil is an expensive and risky business, not undertaken lightly and without an enormous amount of due diligence in establishing mineral rights and ownership BEFORE drilling. There is an old saying in the "oil bidness" ... " a dry hole cures all land titles" .... a successful well will bring all sorts of heretofore unknown owners out of the woodwork.

Reply to
Swingman

On 12 Apr 2012 01:05:08 GMT, Puckdropper

That's where time and experience comes in. That, and knowing that if it's coming from Home Depot, youse takes yur chances.

Reply to
Dave

No sticker o mine. I ordered it from the factory. Then, for the second time in my life, the dealer bent me over. The two times in my life when I ordered new vehicles from the factory have been nightmares. Ford's dealer submitted two orders under the same number, so when my 6 weeks was up, they said "Oops, your truck was never built." After ordering my Toyota, the dealer came back and said that the factory wasn't building any more '07s, so they found one close to what I ordered and I got that. Gold paint (which I like better than the white I'd ordered) and the towing package were the only two changes. Oh, and they dropped the price by another grand, totaling $3k off the retail. It was one of only 3 standard cabs with the tan interior left available in the USA at the time, too.

Running boards, y'old GOAT? I guess I have the alarm, too, and mats, which were carefully recalled and found not to be a problem. Oh, one other change was a stacked CD player: 6 instead of 1.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In addition to Swingman's comments, IIRC there is also

  1. Deed Restrictions.

This particular well is on about 1 acre piece of land that is accessed from a road that is outside of the neighborhood and it was there long before the land was developed into a master planed community.

This particular well is serviced with the rig about every 12 months for a couple of weeks. Normally you do not see the pump behind the 8' tall fence.

Reply to
Leon

Well there was a sticker, that is law but they do not have to attach it unless it goes on the lot for to be sold. The vehicles I have ordered all had stickers that were given to me when I gave them a check.

Then, for the

Buying an 07 in Dec of 07, yeah I imagine there we no more 07's being built any more. I am suprised that the 08's were not already in production. I bought my 07 in the middle of July and that was near the end of the build year.

Gold paint (which I like better than

I originally ordered silver but I really like the charcoal grey. I got about the same deal on mine as the one I originally ordered with the V6 because I was ready to close the deal and they would not have to order another unit. Read that as a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

LOL. My wife insisted, it is a tall step for her and those that ride in the back. I think I have opened the sliding back glass once to see how it worked.

I guess I have the alarm, too, and mats,

I think they all came with some type of integrated alarm, they added the glass break sensor, a little doo dad on the center dash next to the MP3 jack.

I really really like the tool box under the back seat, I keep jumper cables, tie downs, etc under there.

I am not sure if my mats have a problem or not, I took them out and put in the HD rubber mats that hold melted ice, snow. Not that this a problem in Houston but we do get rain and the mats keep the water off of the carpet.

Reply to
Leon

But, you stand a good chance of not winning by relying on "deed restrictions" in that regard in a Texas court. :)

In Texas the "mineral estate" has been historically held to be the dominant estate over the "surface estate".

Case law has made it very difficult to prohibit the owner of the minerals from exercising the enjoyment of his rights as a mineral owner, including physically drilling on the "surface estate", deed restrictions be damned. :)

IOW, theoretically, at least in Texas and concerning these two separate estates, you can't prohibit/nullify the property rights of a third party, by contract between the two parties to a deed on the surface of that land.

That said, as in all legal matters, you may have to sue to find out, and be in for a rude surprise, for each specific case. :)

Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Swingman

I didn't know that.

I specifically didn't want an '08 due to the style changes.

In the Texas sunshine? Oy vey!

Why didn't you get the electric automatic steps for it? Only $1,200 and none of the ugliness while driving.

I think I have opened the sliding back glass once to see how it worked. I used it all the time in my F150, and it saved my neck once when an idiot housewife slammed into my dock bumper at 65mph on the freeway when the rest of us had slowed to 35 for rush hour traffic.

It's too hard to reach while driving in the Tundra, so I don't often use it.

Yeah, little red blinkin' light.

I like the amount of tools I can get in the back when there's no seat in the way.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

running boards.

No, the blinking light is up at the clock, my thing looks like a small microphone, it is black and has several small holes in it.

Reply to
Leon