Wood Planers and Jointers

I do a little bit of cabinet making and such in my garage for myself and family members. I'm looking for a planer and a jointer. Can anyone give me some recommendations on these around 300-400 dollars apiece. I've looked at the Delta 22-580 and Jet 708521 JWP-12DX planers. Haven't looked at jointers much yet. I don't have a vac system yet so I would like one that will operate well without until I do have one. I'm new at this and would like some recommendations from people with experience.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony

some of the lunchbox planers are within your budget. see if you can get a used 6" cast iron bed jointer.

Reply to
bridger

Take a look at Grizzly jointers.

I just got the G1182HW and it's sweet. Reasonably priced @ $375.00.

I also own a Jet JPM-13 Planer/Molder. Great for planing and also you can get custom knives made for it to mill mouldings.

Reply to
ripntear95

I heartily recomment DeWalt DW735 13" Planer--I've had one since last summer--very nice unit. It's a little more expensive than the other "Portable" planers at about $480, but well worth it, IMHO, for that second slower feed rate.

--Steve

T> I do a little bit of cabinet making and such in my garage for myself and

Reply to
Steve

Can't speak to the Delta or Jet planers - I have a Dewalt 3 knife/2 speed job. Really like it. I've got the Jet 6" jointer and it works great. If I had to do it over again I'd get at least an 8" and longer bed.

Reply to
Eric

I would definitely check out the Yorkcraft 6" jointer. I'm a hobbiest and picked this unit up based on quite a few recommendations. I believe it is currenly selling for $339, and it comes with a built in roller base. It is supposedly made in the same factory, and is the exact same unit as the Delta model which sells for around $550, my research indicated that this was indeed true. I am very pleased with mine, I can't believe how much great use I've gotten out of it already. If you search for Wilke tools / Yorkcraft, you can find the distributor's web site. Good luck

Reply to
Doug

=============== I have a ;little DeWalt single speed planner that does all that I need it for...and it has been completly troubkle free for the 4-5 years I have used it...

HOWEVER... I have been using a 6 inch Rockwell Jointer that I purchased almost 40 years ago that has "almost" done everything I needed.... so that is why I am replying...

The Rockwell has one major problem...the bed is not long enough (40 inches or so) I HONESTLY have run into bed lenght problems 1000's of times more then I have run into width (6 vs 8 in) problems...

So BUY the longest Bed Jointer you can "fit" into your shop...

BTW I run 2 Dust Collectors in my shop and the ONLY tool that I do not have, nor plan to hook up to a DC is the jointer...The HJointer produces lots of "chips" but not a lot of "dust" ...but the "chips". fall neatly into a cardboard box which sits under the bed...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.