Delta's and Dewalt's benchtop planers

I happened to see some planer blades for both Delta and Dewalt at the local borg the other day, and couldn't help but notice the difference in size of the to blades. The Dewalt blade looked substantial, heavy duty, and a real peice of metal. The Delta's looked flimsy and more like a toy. I know the Delta's is meant to be disposable, but it looked cheap.

Is the Delta's planer a step below the Dewalt's in quality, or was I reading too much into the blade size?

Rob

Reply to
RobW

I can't speak for the DW, as I have the delta 13". So far, it has performed well. The machine has handled some real large and rough chainsaw ripped lumber with better than expected results from a benchtop. I've had it a year now and it's used regularly. The blades are disposable, as you mentioned, and they are double sided. When one edge gets worn, simply flip it over, and they are easy to change. I'm currently on my second side of the second set of blades (equivalent to 4 blade changes) so they last reasonably long and they run about $30 at the blue borg.

has many reviews (including mine) on these planers if you want to read more. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the delta.

Reply to
Dave jackson

What matters is how sharp, how durable, how they perform. The Delta blades are indexed and help in place with a device on the shaft. I've used both but never changed blades on the DW. Both did a good job of cutting wood. I don't know if anyone has ever done a side by side comparison for any length of time, but it would be interesting.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've been hoping to be in the market for a planer soon, and the dewalt seems like a good compromise at about $300... is the Delta in the same range?

Reply to
mac davis

I have sold hundreds of each of the planers in my career. Each planer does a great job and I believe you would be happy with either machine. Side by side...I would sell either one to my best friend....not much difference in blade life or finish...buy the one that you like and buy from your local dealer for the best service. My customers would ask me which one was best? I jokingly would say which one I had the most in stock of. It really does not make much of a difference. I got great help from both my Delta and Dewalt sales rep. If there was a problem, it would be taken care of to the customers benefit. Good luck, Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

I recently purchased a Delta 13" planer model 22-580. So far I'm satisfied with my choice. I had looked at the Dewalt but there were certain details that I prefered on the Delta. Of course if $ was no object I would have chosen the 15" from General.

Reply to
Daniel Martin

I'd rate them as "flip a coin" or go with the best price at the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Can any one tell me the two model numbers of the planers in this discussion? I need a planer but there are several models of each. Thanks max

Reply to
max

I'm not sure what the OP was referring to, but I have the Delta -580. The best DeWalt is now the 735???

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Delta 22-580, DW735

Both are the 3rd generation lunchbox planers with dual speeds. About $100 more than the 2nd generation planers (locking cutter heads) with an extra

1/2" width.

The dewalt is unique in that is has integrated chip suction. I suppose that is nice if you do not already have dust collection perhaps a waste if you do.

I have owned 1st deneration Delta and a 2nd generation Dewalt(DW733). The Dewalt blades are much thicker, but I doubt that that is significant. The blade setting on mechanism on my Dewalt is *way* better (easier/accurate) than the Delta, but I would like to think that Delta has improved their system in the last 12 years (it's not really a fair comparison).

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M