sizing home jointers and planers?

Yes, some things have increased alot. I don't have a convenient "marketbasket" to compare. It would be interesting to assemble one.

Reply to
Bill

You are a lying sack of shit.

How's that?

I don't lie, ever, period. The lumber at my HD is as good or better than the same grade lumber sold around here in 1970's. The prices I looked up, I didn't guess. I guess you need to take my word on the quality, but trust me, I have no reason to lie, and wouldn't if I did.

The cheap crap

I mentioned #2 grade, which has small knots. I always had to look through the wood stacks when I bought lumber, just as I do now. Then, as now, they always manage to get some really good stuff, and some really bad stuff mixed in the stacks of lumber, regardless of the grading. HD does not sell #1 select, and I never, or almost never bought that anyway, it is rare to find, and commercial furniture builders scoop most of it up, so it was always expensive, and only carried at large or specialty lumber yards.

That's garbage Dave, as long as I've been buying wood, the width of lumber has been the same. A 2x6 is 5.5 inches, same as it was then. A

1x8 is 7 1/4, same as it was then. You don't know what your talking about, or your HD is ripping you off.

Doesn't matter how much you're willing to pay for

Yes, super expensive at HD, but they only sell top quality Oak at my HD. I know they have 1x6, not sure about 1x8. You shouldn't use bigger than

1x6 for table top glue ups anyway, unless it's quarter sawn, which nobody can afford, unless you are a Texan:-)

Well yeah, HD is not selling Festool stuff. But at *my* HD they sell high quality OAK, and they sell very good #2 white wood (pine). I never bought oak veneer ply from them, but my guess is it is the same or better than I would get at Allegheny Plywood, a plywood place I used to by oak veneered ply when I was doing that stuff. They had some crappy stuff there then, probably same as now, but haven't bought any recently.

Reply to
Jack

Jack wrote in news:jm1rl9$h1d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

*snip*

*snip*

Every once in a while they'll buy some good plywood and sell it for an excellent price. It's worth a look when you're in the store. If your HD has a cull cart, that's worth a look as well. (Just don't pick over the cart at my local store until I've had a chance! :-))

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Pointing up at the above answers:

Well, I guess this answers the question of where to buy commercial jointers and planers

Reply to
Pat Barber

That easy... A LOT of nice stuff has been coming through on Craigs List the past few years. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

And you're calling me a lying sack of shit? Over and over, you seem to be the one arguing one side of the fence while everybody else is on the other side. Why is that? I can only suppose it's a desperate need for attention. Why else would you be right and everybody else be wrong?

Reply to
Dave

If you are ever at Lake George again consider renting an island. You have to reserve it early. But camping on those islands is great. The breeze is refreshing. The water clear. The fishing unbeleavable. My BIL and I went out at 5am and we were just trolling, and he caught a lake trout without a down rigger. It was unbelievable watching him take this fish in. The dance on the water was outstanding.

They have bass by the buckets. The kids (all young then) had a blast.

They have islands with 1,2,3 ... 120 camping spots. So you can pick yours out. We liked the north east side of the lake for camping.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
tiredofspam

Hel, you could but a gallon of gas for 20 cents in my lifetime, and I'm under 60 (barely)

Reply to
Larry W

------------------------------------ Gas for just less than $0.20/gal was quite common in metro Detroit in the late '50s.

Known as "gas wars".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So that "point 9" was worth 5%! I sort of remember 32.9/gal in metro Detroit, but I was too young to drive. My first car. a '69 LeSabre with its 26 gallon tank remembered it though. Even in 1981, I could nullify a fifty dollar bill with one tank. : )

Reply to
Bill

You're || -that- close, Pat!

The real answer is either 42 or Amazon/eBay/HD/HFT, but only after you've checked

to get a good idea.

-- Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. -- Matthew Arnold

Reply to
Larry Jaques

19.9 was "quite common" in the early 70's in Corpus Christi. I remember filling up my car for $2.
Reply to
Leon

Ditto my 21.3 cents/gal in Phoenix in '72, my first time away from home. I'd fill up the old '68 Ford Ranch Wagon for under $3. I paid $80 the other day for a Tundra fillup.

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've rarely had need for 2x6 but time was when a 2x4 was 1 5/8 x 3 5/8. Now, 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

As far as quality goes, things like clear, edge grain fir were readily available at decent prices (in the west at least). FAS hardwoods too. That was pre-Home Depot.

Reply to
dadiOH

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:20e1$4f84fa49$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Come on, guys. Quit your bellyaching. Gas is $10/gal in EUrope, and they still drive big cars on the Autobahn and Autostrada.

While the current high prices in the US are an aberration, inflation has made 1 USD in 1970 worth over $6 in 2012. Add in the extra taxes that (I believe) were levied on gasoline since, and you'll get very close to at least $2 to $2.50. And as the oil crisis of the 70s showed, supply and demand can out-duel sense anytime. You $0.15 cup of coffee of the early

70s (which was refilled at will), now costs a bit more too.
Reply to
Han

So we are talking gas going up in price to about 20 times what it used to be in 1970`1972. A new and nicely equipped pick up in 1971 stickered for about $2k and now about $40k

I guarantee you that if an alternative fuel that we have to purchase replaces petroleum based products we will be paying more for the same amount of energy. If this was not true we would have switched decades ago. Oil is way too plentiful to be expensive, relatively.

If electric cars become mainstream demand will increase and our electricity rates will surely increase, and not just the amount of extra usage but for the same reason oil prices increase.

Just wait until some one comes up with a way to measure every breath you take...

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That reasoning leaves out the increased efficiency in using energy. Right now, natural gas is even cheaper than coal, and much more friendly for the environment. That may not last forever, but seems likely for at least a number of years. Electric propulsion for vehicles is alo much more efficient than gasoline, but it suffers from the big HUGE problem of storage. You can't really store electricity very easily. Li batteries were a great leap forward, but we need at least another 10-fold greater storage capability per unit mass, plus the ability to quickly recharge. Not very easy to accomplish.

Reply to
Han

I recall that too but then again 2x stock was hard wood at one time also. The current measurement of 2x stock has been common for at least

40 years... A friend did some remodeling of his old 20's home, wall studs were oak.

Don't blame the current big box stores for bringing poor quality lumber, they are not the producers and I recall seeing "piss" poor lumber, 8'

2x4's with a 7 inch bow, long before I ever saw a HomePro/Builders Square.Home Depot or Lowes. Remember Handy Dan? That was here I recall seeing the stack of bowed 2x4's.
Reply to
Leon

But but but I live in Texas!!! Driving across Texas is like driving Across all of Germany 2~3 times. A trip from eastern Germany to western Germany is like driving from one large city to the next in Texas, When you don't have far to go price is not a big of a factor in living expenses.

If the United States was 250 miles across I would not have a problem paying $20 per gallon.

Reply to
Leon