Silly Question about Jigs - --

As noted previously:

From

Entry: (3)jig Function: noun Etymology: short for jigaboo black person Date: 1927

Reply to
PM6564

Nope, no troll involved. Tried helping out and the dipshit brigade showed up in force.

Reply to
PM6564

On 13 Dec 2003, CW spake unto rec.woodworking:

I was at the local Agway last Sunday, and noticed that the birdseed used in thistle feeders is now known as Nyjer seed. Used to be Niger seed. I doubt that the complaints came from the chickadees.

The titmice have their own issues to deal with.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I've heard this the last few years but I'll be damned if I can figure where it came from. I was born in Japan almost 50 years ago and back then Japan was part of the Orient. In any case, I never thought "Oriental" was a degoatory phrase but merely an acknowledgement of origin.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You must consider that given the original meaning of "Orient" as "here the sun rises" in contrast to "Occident" (where it sets) from a japanese point of view America would be "the Orient" while Asia would be the Occident....

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Oh, man, you gotta watch that--some people find that word offensive.

Trying not to laugh, H

Reply to
Hylourgos

It's one of the dumber ones IMHO. In all the languages I know anything about, the word (identical, or very similiar) "oriental" just means "eastern."

I forget the etymology here. I think it's from Latin. "From the direction of the sunrise" or something like that.

I'll leave it for someone else to go look it up. I'm too lazy ATM.

Reply to
Silvan

My guess is that a jig and a fixture are one and the same except a jig is a one time thing and a fixture is a jig that is used all the time, hench a fixture in the shop.

Reply to
golfmyball

The definition has been given in this thread and that was not it.

Reply to
CW

Oh ya? Why not?

Reply to
golfmyball

Are you really that stupid? No need to reply, the answer is obvious.

Reply to
CW

Don't bother. CW's a tool.

Reply to
Caractacus Potts

Then why reply? The definition given in this thread is nebulous, contradictory and uncertain at best, f*ck head.

Reply to
golfmyball

No, no, this really is a good change, as Juergen tried to point out. The basis for the change is geographic, not political: it's not a "political correctness" issue in other words.

Orient is Latin for the present active participle of orior ("to rise"), which came to mean even in Roman times "The East". That geographic definition worked well for as long as Westerners communicated pretty much only with themselves. If we wish to include the East in our global communications now, as we do, then we can't really refer to Asians with a word meaning "Easterners"--which doesn't make sense to them. Unless, of course, you don't mind being referred to as a South American by Canadians....

H.

Reply to
Hylourgos

Hey JofT,

This is a good example of a change that is *not* owing to political correctness, so the perceived "victims" of this usage are not personally offended and usually won't rake you over the coals for it. They leave that to the rich guilty pampered northern white chicks (oops, did I say something wrong?).

It's just a geocentric term. Asians who want to make a buck here could give a shit...

H.

Reply to
Hylourgos

Because you live in North Cackalacky.

Reply to
Silvan

I believe SOME people have been reading WAY TOO MUCH Noam Chomsky "literature".

Reply to
netnews.comcast.net

Jigs hold or guide a tool - ie: kreg pocket hole jig, router templates. Fixtures hold or guide work, therefore, the miter sled and tennoning 'jig' are fixtures.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Wheeler

Who?

;)

Reply to
Mark

Honestly, your all wrong,

anyone who's anyone knows their thingmummybobs

;-)

Signal

Reply to
signal