Sick brit

The sad thing is that we were _specifically_ told/promised, and on more than one occasion during orientation as draftees in the 60's, that we, as draftees, would be able to take advantage of VA medical care facilities for the rest of our lives, no qualifications.

I had some 30 something VA administrative clerk tell me a year or so ago, as if she was there at the time, that that was never "policy" and we were never told that ... my reaction was that it is an ungrateful nation who will lie to you, then make you fight again for what you were promised

How soon 'they' conveniently forget ... BOHICA

Reply to
Swingman

Reminds me of my first trip into the Parkersburg, WV VA Clinic. I was so sick I took a cab there, either flu or intestional disorder. The receptionist refused to pass me through for treatment, though I had my Salem VA card. Her comment, "You're not in OUR system." I was too sick to argue, but I really had a fit when the same bitch later told my wife that they "Would never do that."

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

I hesitate to even mention it in that it may be jinxed for all times, but for the first time ever I am actually in _e-mail contact_ with my VA PCP!! ... can you imagine that?

Too damn convenient/good to last.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman notes:

I'm jealous. I got a phone call from my PCP about 10 days ago. Someone had left a message on her phone that she thought was from me. It wasn't. I lost her blinking extension number and working one's way through the automated horseshit session called a phone system is so maddening I'd rather make the 100 mile round trip and take my chances.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

BCBS was started by doctors, for doctors. They have some of the highest rates charged for health insurance.

On the upside, they have very good customer service. And they pay the doctors more quickly (and more generously) than most other insurance companies.

Reply to
Howard

I have *never* had a visit at the Dallas VA facility take less than 4 hours. The one time that took only 4 hours was just to schedule the

*real* appointment for 6 weeks later. And they assigned the time & date without any consulation with me. I could either be there on that day, or resched for another 6 weeks out.
Reply to
Howard

You claim to have Never Known HALIBURTIN ?

Good Grief!

Reply to
Steve

THEY delivered fuel and food to my kid, and will be audited to death (and regret for accepting) on their cost plus contract. Waste is giving food stamps so people can afford to buy beer and cigarettes.

You, sir have allowed others opinions to cloud reality. I'm sure you personally have never had an original thought, nor have you learned to spell Halliburton.

Reply to
George

George responds:

Now, I just got snarled at t'other day for mentioning spelling, so what the hell.

Food stamps are not a waste when used properly, but they are also not an example of business, which is what I think the OP was trying to provide.

I don't think they can legally be used to buy beer and cigarettes, either, but I've been wrong before, at least once. The biggest knock I can give them is that they come without instructions for a proper diet: I see far too many chips and cookies in the baskets that are paid for with food stamps and far too little fresh fruit and vegetables.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

Learn to think. The use of the food stamps for food allows them to afford the other stuff. One of the traditional scams is selling them at discount for cash (to buy other chemicals), something they're trying to cure by issuing debit cards.

Is there no end to your presumption? Twenty plus years in EMS and you lecture me on medications, and now on what food stamps can buy on the legal market, something I had to enforce? You know, you're seated in front of a reference library. If you know one tenth of what you presume you know, you'd look things up.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Mike Hide

They may not "legally" be usable for cigs & beer, but in any area with a reasonably large population of Food Stamp recipients they are used like cash for any purchase such as drugs, sex, cab fare, etc. They quickly become (il)legal tender, freely transferred and freely accepted. That is why the feds have tried moving to debit card technology for food stamps and welfare payments. I don't know how well that is progressing at this point.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

It's moving out of the urban areas, though I heard some rumors that there were some challenges to the process. Something about the information on the magnetic strip constituting a privacy issue.

We've got here in the boondocks.

Waste is giving food

Reply to
George

I worked for a company that did EBT processing (electronic benefits transfer). The tech is cool; it does solve a lot of problems. One guy called the help line: "Hey, I just scored this card and it won't work!" So helldesk tells him, "just stay right there while we work on it." He was still standing there when the squad car pulled up and took him away.

The POS terminal can talk to the scanner, and allow only healthy stuff to be charged to the card.

People are clever, though, so there's still somebody, somewhere, gaming the system with EBT cards.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis