Shopsmith bandsaw tires, no replacements for 1984 model.

I was just informed by Shopsmith that their bandsaw manufactured in 1984 cannot be serviced with new tires, after I ordered what were supposed to be replacements.

"The very old Bandsaw did have a ribbed wheel. I asked our Service Repair tech and he assured me that the tires we sell will work on the ribbed wheel. The surface area to hold the adhesive is a little less, but the tire will hold firm."

The Shopsmith bandsaw was manufactured in 1984.

Seems to me that putting a non-ribbed tire on a ribbed wheel could cause problems, besides possible lack of adhesion. ...The rubber can move down into the ribs warping the outer surface of the tire. ...The tension guide wont work properly due to a different outer diameter of the tires on the wheels.

But since there are no other sources for Shopsmith bandsaw tires, I guess we will have to cope.

Reply to
Jack Straight

I see the real problem as a manufacturer calling 20 years "very old" for woodworking machinery.

This is what scares me about Grizzly and several other Pacific Rim importers. Remember Reliant?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The standard replacement tires from Shopsmith worked just fine on my 1982 bandsaw. Additionally I see neoprene replacement kits for the SS on ebay quite often, although I have no experience with them. Put the question on Yahoogroups/ssusers and I am sure you will get considerable first hand responses. BTW I know many people who are running their Shopsmith bandsaws from the 1950s and appear able to get all needed parts and upgrades from Shopsmith.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote

Please feel free to do so.

BTW I know many people who are running their Shopsmith bandsaws from

Reply to
Jack Straight

Jack Straight wrote

"My father gave me an old bandsaw (10") that had no tire on the top wheel. I took it to the cobbler shop and he glued leather on the wheel for me and so far it has worked great!"

So maybe I am being picky, heheh.

Reply to
Jack Straight

Sorry, I thought that this was for YOU, not me.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall