Comments, criticisms on Solar Kiln Design....

Hello all:

I'm thinking of building a solar kiln "around" my existing stack of cherry, beech, and persimon (sp?). Based on many designs I have studied, here's what I'm planning to do.....

Simply build a 2x4 stud wall around the stack (it's on my porch by-the-way covered but with a Southern and a Western exposure). Anyway, build 2x4 stud walls around the stack, then cover them with 6 mil poly. The back wall will be 8" higher than the front (exposed) wall and will have 2 small openings cut as hot air outlets. A small fan will run 24 hrs a day just to circulate air. The top will be another stud wall covered with poly and just sit on top. I'll add 3 industrail hinges to the front so I can prop up the rear of the top if it gets too hot inside.

Well, pretty simple, but I would like to entertain suggestions from anyone who has built or studied solar kiln designs. Note that this design is only good for 2 or 3 chatges probably and will need to be rebuilt if the idea works well and i decided to make it permanent.

Thanks for any suggestins or comments.

Richard Hollingsworth

Reply to
Richard Holliingsworth

Try these URLs:

Should get you quite a lot of info about solar kilns and drying.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE