Shop Fox W1677 TS

Anybody else have this saw? I've had mine for a month and have mixed feeling about it. Going from a home-built TS, it's my first real saw and thus luxurious in many ways.

It is tremendously satisfying to make cuts with. It was not set-up out of the box. I was able to set the blade to

Reply to
Interious

I have the 1023 which is essentially the same. Got mine about

3 months ago. It is so far better than the imported contractor saw that I hade been using for 15+ years, that I have very few complaints.

I also had a little trouble with wing alignment. After fooling around for a couple hours, I reversed them and believe it or not, that completely solved the problem. No shimming was needed. I had miniscule runout - so little that I thought that I would not be able to improve upon it.

I have the SF fence too and I don't know what you mean by "lumpy". I have found it to be very solid, square and accurate. Maybe I don't know what a more refined fence would be like, but I am very satisfied.

The DC system is very good and the power and weight are a real plus - especially when feeding sheets of 3/4 ply through it - which I seem to be doing a lot lately.

I'd like to upgrade to the WW II for my next blade, but the Freud 60 tooth I got from Amazon is doing a good job so far and it was around $30 IIRC. No burning at all.

I expecially like the way the saw "feels". The handwheels are big, solid and silky smooth. The fences glides smoothly and locks down easily but firmly.

For $1K, I think it's a good value. I don't believe that spending twice as much would get you twice the quality - at least from what I have seen in shopping around.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Good idea about the extension wings.

A dial indicator across the fence indicates a variation of +/- .005 or more. The distribution is such that is shows up on long cuts. Not a big deal since I'm going to replace it with a wood face.

I can't fault the handwheels and locking mechanism. Very massive.

I really do like this TS. I was us>I have the 1023 which is essentially the same. Got mine about

Reply to
Interious