Shooting Plane shootout

Given the increase in take-home pay I've noticed recently, I've decided to invest in a shooting plane. I see that both LN and LV have left-handed off erings, so I'm wondering if anyone has any strong opinions about either tha t may sway my purchasing decision? Although it's not completely about func tionality, as my Omga miter saw with a sharp blade leaves an incredibly smo oth surface, I do prefer to buy the best and only cry once. Plus I make a lot of picture frames and clients also seem impressed with traditional hand work.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I've handled both at shows and they are both fine tools. That said, my preferences run towards L-N due to their more traditional look and feel...

As an aside, I've tended to stick to basic tools that offer more versatility than a dedicated shooting plane would. As such I use a bench plane for shooting. I've used my L-N No 5 (sharpened as a smoother vs. a jack) and my L-N No 7. The selection dependent upon how tall and thick and the type of wood involved. The No 7 gets the nod for wood running towards the taller, thicker, and/or harder end of the scale.

I recently inherited some tools... one being a Stanley No 6. I gave it a run through electrolysis and otherwise cleaned and tuned the plane. This plane too appears to be a good choice for shooting as it fits my world view of what is needed for shooting. Namely, you need a plane where the sole is 90 degrees to the sides and one one that has enough mass to move smoothly through the cut. It also needs a finely sharpened iron with little to no curve. I anticipate trying this plane for shooting and if the iron proves inadequate may upgrade to a Hock iron.

Anyhow, have fun choosing!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin