Dowel Peg Shootout

So what's the absolute best shaped dowel peg? Flutes or the spiral cut kind?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

IMHO the ones with the ridges, (flutes?) cut the length of the dowel slide in easier.

Reply to
Leon

I,d say the fluted ones......

Reply to
George Berlinger

I learned a trick, - so long ago that I don't want to mention !!

Use a pair of 'regular' slip-joint pliers. Gently 'crimp' around the peg - so as to create some flutes around the length. Apply glue and insert.

The glue gives a bit of lubrication and the pseudo flutes allow a bit less friction and the trapped air to escape. The water in the glue then makes the 'crimps' swell, the peg resumes it's original shape and holds even tighter.

Regards, R> So what's the absolute best shaped dowel peg? Flutes or the spiral > cut kind? > > JP

Reply to
Ron Magen

I've used thousands of each, still no preference. As you already know, the flutes or sprial cuts are to prevent a hydraulic lock when driven/pushed into the hole.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

That's what I gathered. I've not yet used the fluted kind, but we got a bag of them delivered to the shop today. We'll see.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique