Miller Dowel System?

Anyone here used the Miller Dowel System? Is it worth the $20+?

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Detailed Review Here:

and draw your own conclusions :)

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig

- Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

SawEyes

I am still confused... What advantage does this have over an ordinary dowel?

Reply to
Leon

It is more expensive and single sourced. Of course, *who* this is an advantage for isn't the buyer...

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I use it extensively in the high school program where I teach and feel it is a very good value.

Jack Grube

Reply to
Jack Grube

How is it better than a standard dowel that has been sanded down the edge just short of where the end will be exposed?

Reply to
Leon

My only guess is it fits into a tight hole a lot easier. Instead of fitting a 2" glue covered dowel into a tight 2" deep hole, the Miller only has a 1/2" or so of close fit to overcome. Taken to the extream it would be a cone shaped peg. I suppose I could see the advantage if you had to install a bunch of 4" long dowels...

-Bruce

Le> How is it better than a standard dowel that has been sanded down the edge

Reply to
BruceR

I was a little rougher on them when I first saw them. Some time ago, but my first feeling was very simple: what's the point?

I've seen nothing to make me change that opinion.

Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

Charlie Self

Jack Grube responds:

But what does it DO that regular dowels and brad point bits don't do?

Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

Charlie Self

Ultimately I think it may provide a weaker joint if the dowel is smaller at the joint line than a dowel you would be using normally. BUT, I think the whole idea is that since the dowel is tapered in design, you can put it in almost all the way before any contact is made. Insertion is easier. With a typical dowel there is wood contact during the entire process of sliding the dowel in. If you know what you are doing with a regular dowel that is not much of a problem anyway.

Reply to
Leon