Sharpening Station

Looking for plans and ideas for a self contained sharpening station. WIll include a Tormek-type sharpener and maybe another grinder. Also should include a study stand for sharpening stones (oil or water ... haven't decided yet). Would like to make this Station myself.

Reply to
PapaChuck

PapaChuck wrote: > Looking for plans and ideas for a self contained sharpening station. > WIll include a Tormek-type sharpener and maybe another grinder. Also > should include a study stand for sharpening stones (oil or water ... > haven't decided yet). Would like to make this Station myself. >

Norm's done that one.

Check out NYW plans.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How ape shit do you wanna go? You've specified a Tormek (and I assume some or most of its accessories/jigs), a grinder and japanese water stones. You didn't mention Scary Sharp (tm) plates or a 1" belt sander but you may get to one or both at some point in the future.

You might not want to go this ape shit but here's the basic idea (in 3 views with dimensions)

Full extension pull out shelves are kind of nice - much easier to lift something up than left up a little, pull it out a bit then lift it up to the table top
And I doubt you'll go for bear claw spruce door panels and drawer fronts but
I'm real sure you won't do the ten + layers of french polished shellac.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Thanks, but doesn't reallydeal with the sharpening stone issue very elligantly. Maybe I will need 2 stands ... 1 for grinding and 1 for hand sharpening?? Know of any out of Fine Woodworking or Wood or other practical/"shop made" oriented sources?

-- Chuck

Reply to
PapaChuck

Hey, thanx for the plans! Anything worth doing is worth over-doing!

I love shellac; is my finish of choice (in the shop.) But I haven;t worked up to the FP level yet.

-- Chuck

Reply to
PapaChuck

Here's a link to the plans that inspired the sharpening station I recently built. It meets your criteria, and is really setup right.

built mine a little taller, wider and deeper to meet my needs. I'll post a pic of it at APBW --dave

Dave Jackson

dimensions)

just took a closer look at you site ... wholy guacamole!!! Could you add just a little more detail ? :) Thanx for the fabulous ideas (at a twisted mind ... " I'm a man of wealth and fame. No - that's the Rolling Stone's introduction").

Reply to
PapaChuck

Great info. Saw the cut list ... how do I get the actual plans so I can take a closer look??? Whatsa APBW?

Thanx!

Reply to
PapaChuck

ABPW = alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (another newsgroup)

Google does not archive binary newsgroups, though, so you'll have to get there some other way than how you got here. Outlook Express and Netscape both have newsgroup readers built in, or you can download any of a number of dedicated news readers.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You'd probably have to order a back issue of the magazine to get the step by step plans. --dave

Dave Jackson

Damn, Charlie- you're hardcore.

I've got myself a Delta grinder bolted to an old wooden stool. :)

Reply to
Prometheus