scroll saw question

have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much else.. I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....

this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and not used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look for? any advise appreciated.

Reply to
buckwheat

Hells yeah! That might be a neener, at that price.

Seems to have a sturdy table, a substantial blade clamp and easy tightening mechanism. The blade clamp is always the most suspect part, to me, second the tightening device.

Reply to
Morgans

That is the cadilac of scroll saws. The price is reasonable.

Reply to
woodchucker

RUN! Do not walk and buy that saw NOW!

It is, as others have said, the Cadillac - make that Rolls Royce - of scroll saws.

The owner has it way underpriced - both as new and for a used one.

It appears to be the 22-V Value pack which includes the saw, stand, and pedal switch. Current retail is $1,699

Its purchase at the asking price would certainly qualify you for a resounding "You Suck!" from anyone who knows a thing about scroll saws.

I scored - off Craigslist, also - a similar deal a couple of years ago. I got the Polymax 8spd Industrial model (top of the Hegner line) with stand for about HALF of that asking price. Mine was missing a couple of blade holders (they now accept both pinned and unpinned blades) and added the quick tensioner retrofit, etc. By the time all was said and done, I had the new, improved, upgraded Polymax which now costs $2,950.

Advanced Machinery of New Castle, Delaware (their website above) is the sole source for machines and parts in the US. Seems to be a smallish outfit with great customer service. The lady I spoke with knew the saws up, down and sideways and had me good to go in a single order with quick shipment.

Look around the site and you can download the manuals for all their saws to get a preview.

Don't hesitate though. That saw will not last long at that price.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

If you do lose out on the Hegner, keep your eyes open for one from RBI, e.g RBI Hawk. That's another quality saw. I think most will agree, however, that Hegner is the top dog.

Good luck!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

And or Excalibur

Reply to
Leon

Okay, Buckwheat...

The poster has deleted that saw from Craigslist. You're quiet so hopefully you scored that saw and are busily checking it out... or nursing a pulled groin or back muscle from shlepping it around.

Did we forget to tell you that the reason it's like a sewing machine is that it weight a freakin' ton

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of what looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
buckwheat

Reply to
woodchucker

OohRah! You just earned a big "You SUCK!"

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be happy with that saw.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Fer sure, he does. IIRC, the previous owner also had a lamp (magnifying?) mounted.

Very sweet deal.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

xTWO!