scroll saw motors - easy to replace?

Hello,

Another scroll saw question, motors this time. I have been reading that most of the 'problems' with different models can be fixed with minimal investment and time. What about the motors? If I buy ABC scroll saw, and the motor dies a year from now, are better quality motors available that fit most makes, or is that the end of the life of the saw? Thanks.

Reply to
Ben A Gozar

If it's a taiwan saw with a pressed on crank, the motor will cost more than a new saw. If it's a belt-drive saw, almost any 1/5 to 1/3 motor will work (with some pully machining mods). If it's a quality name brand variable speed, odds are the electronic speed controller will crap out lonnnnng before the motor

Reply to
Tom

Thanks for the note. I thought -well-, I would get a cheap saw that I liked the looks of and the way it worked. Then as things break replace them with better parts.

I had thought that any small motor would work, but as you have pointed out, that is not the case. Thanks.

Reply to
Ben A Gozar