SawStop is here!

Hey Bill thanks. I too put my finger where it did not belong yesterday, twice. LOL I can never resist putting my finger in something that is just big enough for my finger and not very carefully pulling it out.

Reply to
Leon

You might be missing the obvious, do you want to contaminate your BS for the occasional situation that you might want to cut off a smaller portion of meat?? I would never consider doing this with anything other than a dedicated BS that is going to be cleaned and sanitized on a scheduled basis. You are going to end up with thousands of small chunks of animal product spread through your band saw and at the least I would think the draw of insects and the eventual smell of rot would detour you from considering this any further.

Push come to shove, take that frozen chunk of what ever you have and ask your butcher or local meat market to cut it up for you.

Reply to
Leon

So let us know the results when Karl comes buy with a test wiener. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

"Leon" wrote

All you youngster, city slickers talking 'bout sawing meat. With a with a BIG ASS BANDSAW! Back in the day, when we had to cut meat, we used a meat saw. It looked like a giant hacksaw. It had a meat (bone) blade on it. You operated in with your arm and hand. Ya know, MANUAL LABOR! And it did cut frozen meat. It would be a bit of a workout, but it got the job done.

This is a picture of a modern 25" manual meat saw. They come in different sizes.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Very sweet looking Leon

Can I come over and play????

Reply to
woodchucker

Sure! Ill keep a light on for you!

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, there should have been a mechanism in place to blow the door off it's hinges. Naw, the kids wouldn't leave it alone. :)

BTW, just for reference, that little pinch inthe door hurt just as good as a firm tap with a 16 oz hammer! :) I have prided myself for not doingthe latter in years. Though I did it at least 2 times that I keenly remember, in my youth. You folks are the first to know (I didn't dare tell anybody, lest I might lose "my privileges").

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You never eat leftovers? Perhaps you don't know how to treat them for a second meal. I take them for lunch all the time.

The past couple of weeks I've cooked on the weekend and froze a good portion for future use for easy quick meals. My wife is in the hospital and won't be cooking for a while when she gets home so I'm stocking up a little now.

Properly reheated, it is as good as the day it was cooked, exception being crispy chicken skin.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:11:28 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Thanks for that. I might order one.

Reply to
none

Sure, but not as much as I used to. In this case, we're talking about meat and I rarely eat it. I've pretty much lost my taste for leftover meat. The only time I cook a roast beef is when I have friends over and they usually take what's left home with them for sandwiches during the week. I wouldn't eat it, so they might as well take it with them.

Maybe my reheating techniques need some improvement.

Reply to
none

------------------------------------------------------ That's why microwaves exist.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You have to heat it gently. If you just stick it in the microwave on high, it will ruin the taste.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What's with a microwave? Meat cooks terribly in a microwave, no matter what level you put it at. At best, I use a microwave to thaw a few foods, heat some veggies, or maybe cook a frozen microwave dinner if I'm in a rush.

Reply to
none

You don't cook it, just reheat it. Done properly, it does not affect the taste. Done improperly, it ruins it. I reheat my lunch (consisting of leftovers) most every day with no problems.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess it's just me then. Reheated meat of any type, however it's reheated just tastes Blah! It's just too bland compared to the taste of when it's oven cooked the first time.

Reply to
none

Could depend on how you like your meat cooked. The rarer you like your meat the less you loose flavor on the reheat. If you like it fairly well cooked on the first go around then I can see your point. You need some juice to reheat.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I'll give you the not as good, but it can still be good.

Reply to
Mike M

It really has to do with how you reheat and the meat what kind you are reheating.. The key for us is to reheat in the juices that cooked out during the cooking. For example we smoke a pretty good brisket. We cook it in an aluminum pan which captures all the liquids. After an hour of smoking we cover the pan with aluminum foil and finish cooking. After cooking we let the meat rest so that it will soak up some of those juices.

We keep the whole thing and can eat on that for several days, we typically oak 10~15 lbs.

When reheating we use the, now solid, juices to keep the meat moist when reheating.

The key is to reheat with the same juices that gave all the flavor and taste when first cooked.

Reply to
Leon