S-OT: Style for Quarter Sawn and Wood Names

Can the educated ones assist here please? Is it "quartersawn" or "quarter-sawn" or "quarter sawn"? I assume that answer applies to flat/plain/rift.

And when I refer to Mahogany or Poplar or White Oak, they should be capitalized, right?

Thanks........

Reply to
patrick conroy

quartersawn or quartersawd. Species in zoology and botany are capitalized but the names of species are not. So poplar, oak, etc. Mike in Arkansas who keeps a dictionary handy.

Reply to
JMWEBER987

A Typical Lumber Order:

175 BF 4/4 FAS QS WO RWL S4S SP 13/16.

Translation:

One Hundred and Seventy Five Board Feet (A Volume Measurement Equal To

144 Cubic Inches Of Unsurfaced Material) of Material That Is One Inch Thick Prior To Surfacing and is to be of the Firsts And Seconds Grade (See NHWA specs) and is to be Quartersawn White Oak (See allowed species for possible inclusions beyond that intended), in Random Widths and Lengths (Within the parameters of the FAS spec), Surfaced on Four Sides (See specs for allowable methods of surfacing), and Thicknessed By Skip Planing (A method of taking material that is allegedly thick enough to produce the final desired thickness and stopping the thicknesser when it is set at 13/16", disregarding the fact that there might be some pieces in there that are thinner than that)(See NHWA Specs) to no greater than 13/16 of an inch.

BTW - most lumberyard guys don't give a damn about spelling, and many of them can't count - so you'd better.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Actually, in zoology and botany, genera are capitalized, and species are not, as in Acer saccharum or Homo sapiens. Common names are never capitalized, as in sugar maple and human being, respectively.

Maybe you should've consulted it before posting. :-) *My* dictionary shows another 'e' in quartersawed.

Doug Miller

Got a reference (ideally online) for a summary of the acronyms and format ? Quick Goggle search on 'haw hardwood' and a couple of other variants didn't turn up much.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Actually did and what you say is exactly what I read. Could have been having a Senior moment when I was typing. Come pretty often :) Mike in Arkansas who has a dictionary, reads it, but somehow manages to still get it wrong.

Reply to
JMWEBER987

And never, ever go in and ask for Ma-Ha-Go-Knee.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

In New England: quattersawrn.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

muh-hog'-uh-knee???

Reply to
patrick conroy

A'yup.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Okay, I was using the official Arkansas Hillbilly Dictionary.

Reply to
JMWEBER987