Rusty drill press column

Just common knowledge.

Reply to
Leon

And after 2 weeks with no rain, and then a light downpour, my Ranger thought water was a pretty good lubricant on the road too - - - -

Reply to
clare

The use of the term "lubricant" in this case is controversial. It keeps the metal of the valve and the metal of the seat from micro-welding and tearing each other apart. It is NOT a "lubricant" in the classic sense of the word

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I just can't imagine it...

Does rule 34 apply?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I've oft heard the term, "cushion" used. Regardless, it is not a synonym fer "lubricant". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Perhaps we're getting close to the line.

Reply to
krw

We get a lot of that, here in Atlanta, every time it rains. People just can't understand the basics of defensive driving.

Reply to
krw

If I type the word "snow" someone nearby will slide off the highway and onto the median.

Yep...there they go. Sorry about that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They absolutely freak here. If I didn't have to be on the same roads, it would be hilarious.

Reply to
krw

Less than a foot is a "light snowfall". but the first 1 inch snow generally causes some bedlam here too.

Reply to
clare

When I lived in Vermont, the first snow of the year caused all sorts of grief. People don't have Winter tires yet and drive like they did all Summer. It's like people didn't know it was going to snow some day and even forgot what the stuff is. After that, snow wasn't a big thing, until there was so much no one went anywhere (for a few hours).

Reply to
krw

LOL! I spent a week there one day in January '82.

Spalted Walt

That reminded me of this:

Just Wondering

Wranglestar reminds me of a semi-spoiled rich kid that suddenly got interested in DIY. Has lots of nice toys, and nicer property.

Anyway, Naval jelly works better than anything I've tried if you have heavy rust. The video SpaltedWalt referenced using vinegar to derust a drill press taking all night and a lot of elbow grease could have been done, and done better, in about 20 minutes with naval jelly. Would love to watch Leon try to derust that sucker with WD40.

I de-rusted my tools when I first got them, including the drill press column with Naval Jel, and it worked a treat. Follow up with Bostik Top Coat and your in like Flynn.. WD40 might work with LOTS and LOTS of work, and steel wool, but mainly on very light rust. About anything works on light rust.

Reply to
Jack

Well, that's exactly the storm I was referring to (AKA "Snowmageddon"). The city of Atlanta didn't bother to cancel school that day (the schools in our area did), then released all the kids at the same time as most of the businesses closed and sent their people home. I can't imagine being stuck overnight on a school bus full of

2nd graders but there they were.

I live at the far edge of the "metro area" and we had 2", at most. It took me three hours to get home (normally 25min) and I had to take the polar route to even get there. My normal route was impassible - cars everywhere.

Reply to
krw

Believe it is "in like Flint".

Reply to
Markem

That would be a malapropism.

Flynn[*] is the original, _In Like Flint_ is a movie (and not as good as the first one ...)

[*] as in Errol Flynn and his underage companions.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Maybe but the master swashbuckler is not of my age, only saw him in black n white TV on WGN.

Reply to
Markem

Electrolysis. Same method to clean up old hand planes. Requires a car battery charger and a bath of electrolyte (washing soda I believe)

You will need to separate out the column and place it into the solution.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

A bit of fun on a 5 foot tall floor mounted press - I can think of a lot of other drill presses that would make that rather challenging - -

-
Reply to
clare