Router bearing trouble

Hi

I have a problem using bearing guided cutters on pine & MDF. The bearing seems to leave a mark where its run along the edge. Worse on pine, noticeable on MDF

Cutters are of various makes, reasonable mid range quality, carbide tipped & new.

The bearings seem to run freely.

Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can lubricate the bearing with? Dave

Reply to
David Lang

I think you find that you will leave the same mark with the same pressure you exert even if the router is not turned on, the carbide edge is not touching the wood, and only the bearing is touching the wood. Simply running the bearing down the edge with the router turned off "can" form an indentation in soft materials. I suggest a lighter touch.

Reply to
Leon

you can lube the bearing with any very light oil such as sewing machine oil, but if it's turning freely that probably isn't the problem. if it were siezed it would prolly burn instead of pressing in- what sort of mark is it leaving? if it's pressing in try not pushing the router into the work so hard; take more lighter passes...

Reply to
bridger

Spread out the unit pressure (force/unit area) with 2 or 3 bearings stacked on each other. May require a longer screw or shank if the bearing is on the shank.

(Routers)

Reply to
pat

A trick to try is to cover the edge with some smooth masking tape. Be sure it's below/above the cutters. Nothing as messy as a bit with tape wrapped around it...;-)

As others suggested, a lighter touch is probably the fix. Also check Pat Warner's site

for an offset base for your router so you can control the router easier and avoid a "death grip" on it. May be simply taking lighter cuts so you don't need so much pressure.

This link has some good info

S.

Reply to
BobS

Dave wrote: I have a problem using bearing guided cutters on pine & MDF. The bearing seems to leave a mark where its run along the edge. Worse on pine, noticeable on MDF

Cutters are of various makes, reasonable mid range quality, carbide tipped & new. The bearings seem to run freely. Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can lubricate the bearing with?

This could also be an indication that your routers' bearings are outta whack. Are you using the router in a table? If so, you could use a fence, and hide the bearing from the work just behind the fence. If you're freehanding it, I'd go with the lighter touch/offset base. Tom

Reply to
tom

Try a bit with one of the SQUARE Euro bearings, it does NOT spin once it touches the wood, and just slide along

John

Reply to
John

Does the bearing have a metal plate covering the balls? It most likely is a shielded bearing and is lubricated with grease and not designed to be relubricated. Hopefully the mfg. would have designed it for low torque.

Reply to
Tom