John Walter

I've been on the list to get the new edition of his larger Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools for a couple of years now. I went to his website the other day and found that it was under construction, and probably defunct. I tried calling his phone number to only get sent to a different number which led to one in a different person's name. Any idea what's going on? Anybody got a working address, URL, or phone number? I sure hope this doesn't bode ill.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Cripes I would love to get that book. When your turn came through what were you expecting to pay for it?

Reply to
AAvK

Whatever the regular price is. It used to $30. When the new printing comes out we'll see what it is. The amazon and eBay prices for the '96 are absurd.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Something over a year ago, I was wanting some old tool info for my reference book. At that time, it was a 10 minute drive to Front St. in Marietta, OH. After six or so trips, I finally managed to find John in his shop, and the second time around, I arranged to meet him at an agreed upon hour so I could shoot some photos. I waited almost an hour.

In the next few weeks, I came by several times, and John wasn't open and phone response was nil.

I got the feeling in talking to him that he sort of follows his own drummer, and is often off on buying trips that extend a bit past what he might have actually planned.

I have a feeling something similar may be going on, though the web site being messed up more than usual is a worrier.

Too, the Ohio River flooded severely last year, dipping Marietta's Front Street area in mud, messing up a lot of those small shops. It's a nice little town--really nice, gorgeous Victorian buildings, brick streets in many areas--so seeing photos of it messed up is painful, but that's life on major river sides. That might have created some problems for John, too.

I hope it's just an extended buying trip. John's a pretty good guy. And his shop will drive you nuts with all the old tools.

Reply to
Charlie Self

It used to be that when I called his number I'd get a boy, or maybe him , or he'd call back, eventually. That didn't bother me much, I've waited a couple years now, I CAN be patient, don't believe what my ex says. What worried me was the phone number changes leading nowhere and the website looking more like it's been bought by someone else that really under construction. I hope he's OK.

I don't think I've ever met a tool shop I didn't like. Which isn't quite how SWMBO puts it. The last printing of his book is nearly 10 years ago, I'd sure like to get the new one, it was supposed to be out this June....

Thanks for the tip, Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Yes they are. I saw a paperback one go for about $130, and a mint hardback go for about $200, both recently on eBay. And as low as $249 on the 'net. So if he is alive and functioning up a new edition and there is a list to get onto, how do I do it? Is he a private publisher like David E. Heckel? What is his website?

Reply to
AAvK

He does his own publishing, as far as I know, my pocket guide say "Published by John Walter" on the back. AS for getting a copy, When they are available you may be able to get them from some of the usual galoot sources, MJD etc. AS I said, his website and phone number don't seem to be working, so I don't know how you'd get ahold of him. Wait and see is all I can suggest.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax