Aging Cherry

In issue #93 (April 2002) edition of American Woodworker, there is an article on finishing cherry. They discuss a two step chemical process made by Old Growth Solutions LLC. They also list a website

and a phone number as the source for this stain system. Unfortunately, it appears that both are invalid and the company no longer exists. Does anybody know if this chemical is still available under a different manufacturer or if there is something made by somebody else that does the same thing?

Reply to
D Steck

I didn't see that article, but there's a dandy two-step process that involves lye and water... been discussed here several times:

Doug Miller

They've undoubtedly suffered the customary penalty for staining cherry.

A short amount of time accomplishes wonders. It can be hastened by sunlight. A couple hours direct sun will produce a pronounced effect. Lye also works, but sunlight is easier and safer--doesn't need to be neutralized and doesn't raise the grain.

Roger

D Steck wrote:

Reply to
Roger

Nowhere nearly as pronounced as even a mild solution of lye.

Lye doesn't need to be neutralized either - if you try (e.g with vinegar), it reverses the effect. Just wipe with a damp rag to remove any unreacted lye on the surface.

You're right that it raises the grain, though, and the wood needs to dry thoroughly before finishing.

Doug Miller

"D Steck" wrote in news:bau7e.5602$ snipped-for-privacy@fe05.lga:

the wrap.

Essentially, David Eisan did an experiment on a cherry clock and ammonia fuming. The pics are no longer posted, but as I recall, it was pretty nice!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Thanks for all the information. I really hope I didn't start the great cherry stain debate again! The bottomline is simple: if SWMBO requires a darker cherry and is not willing to wait for the natural course of time, then the question of 'staining or not staining' cherry is very simply answered!

I'll do a little experiment and try fuming and the lye.

Reply to
D Steck