History Channel Special: Engines

Looks interesting. Wednesday, April 27, 2005

8-9pm (EDT, I think) -- One Time Only - Engines. Story of the development of engines and motors, with particular emphasis on the ones that have profoundly changed society. Beginning with the steam engine, we see how it was created, how it works, and how it led to the Industrial Revolution. We review the electric motor, internal combustion engine, jet engine, and rocket engine, and conclude with a look at futuristic engine technologies, including hydrogen-powered cars and microtechnology engines so small that they fit on the tip of a finger.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That was a Canadian invention you know.

Reply to
WillR

[snip] The Industrial Revolution was a Canadian Invention? Blame Canada!! spasm, jo4hn
Reply to
jo4hn

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:42:32 -0400, the inscrutable WillR spake:

Oh, sure. Where could he possibly have found steam in the Great White North? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Federal Parliament building in Ottawa -- it is full of hot moist air.

OK so maybe we didn't invent it -- but our politicians perfected the steam-making process.

Reply to
WillR

Pavel Chekov insists it was a Russian!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

And Scotch was inwented by a little old lady from Leningrad . .

Reply to
Charles Krug

Hey now, you're treading on sacred ground there.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Great, well that's settled.

No jabla Don Pedro, but you drink that, I'll have, let's see...the Balvenie I think.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

errrr.. Will... what pound/cut of Pedro are you drinking? g,d & r

Reply to
Robatoy

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:12:30 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy spake:

------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ----

Dynamic Website Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

trente ocho por ciento senor. 38% by vol.

The Balvenie (single malt) beside it -- which I had forgotten about -- is 40%. (I thought I had the Spanish keyboard turned on ... oh well.)

So we know which of us is the lush. :-)

Sitting back with a coffee and a snifter of either one and watching the sunset is a religious experience -- kinda like sunrise on Haleakela or watching the sunset above Desolation sound, or maybe a nice sunset in Winter Cove off Saturna Island. Or a morning walk in Nayarit just above PV.... or ...

Of course a nice cigar kinda completes the picture I think...

Reply to
WillR