Rousseau router plate in the trash

Couldnt line up the dam holes when drilling it out for my PC 7518. I trashed it. Ooops. Think im gonna get a predrilled router table blate next time.

Reply to
stoutman

Jim Behning

Dig that little puppy out of the trash and use it as a template to trim a piece of 1/4" lexan you get from your local plastics remnant bin to make a replacement.

Probably get enought lexan to make a couple of inserts for a few $.

BTW, 1/4" sheet plastic such as lexan is a great material for making jigs.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Here's what I did to install my Hitachi M12V in my Rousseau plate.

On the lathe, I turned a stepped spindle. One end I turned exactly 1/2". The other end I turned to match the smallest hole (ring) in the rousseau plate (I forget what the diameter was). Chucked this little beauty in my router, dropped the plate over it and that sucker wouldn't budge. While it was clamped in place (to prevent slippage), I used a scribe to outline the base of the router on the bottom of the baseplate. The M12V has one straight edge on the base, which helped, but wasn't necessary to make this method work. Then, unclamped everything and lined up the M12V subbase on the scribed line, clamped in place and marked hole locations. Went to the drill press, Bob's your uncle, and everything lined up perfectly. Hope this helps for your next try.

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C.

Some us don't have lathes. We want one but don't have one...yet.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Got mine as an 10th anniv gift from SWMBO. Love playing around on it (the lathe), but sometimes wish that it was cheaper than, say, collecting planes....

Reply to
Joe C.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Send it to me. I love my Rousseaus. No reason not to have another one, even though it's been defaced, reducing its sale value to zero.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

We need to come up with some good reason besides plain ole' "turning" (for SWMBO's):

Like, let's see...

"It can be used to polish the silver around holidays"

"If we need a salad bowl in a pinch..."

"Wood lamp? Sure honey...no problem...o"

I have nothing else. Need help. Want a lathe sitting in my shop. Don't know why, just want one.

(Turning, turning, turning..."Rawhide" - err...guess that's "rolling, rolling, rolling...)

Dating myself,

Lou

Reply to
loutent

How big a plate are you making?

Something like a 10x12 with a typical PC type router certainly shouldn't be a problem for a 1/4" thick piece of lexan.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I pulled it from the trash and widened the holes so now they all line up. I wanted to attach it to the side of my table saw so I made a practice router table top. It turned out so good that it became my "actual" top. The only complant I have against the rousseau is the difficulty in putting in the hole reducer rings. Other than that it seems pretty good.

Reply to
stoutman

Even if you'd gotten lined up, you might not have liked it anyway. I had one. My DW618 came with a centering tool so it was a little easier getting it lined up. But I never really liked the plate anyway. I hated the crown in the plate. The inserts never seemed to be flat and they were a pain to install. I gave away my old open stand table and built a new cabinet style. This time I used a Woodpeckers cast aluminum. Its' predrilled and fits perfectly. I just bought the extra twist lock set of insert. You can go even smaller with a set of 1 3/6" inserts from Lee Valley, (I'll be getting these later). One word describes this setup, Sweettttttt!. Do yourself a favor and check out the Woodpeckers plates.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

One of the things, I really hated about this plate. The Woodpeckers is a twistlock, very easy to get in and out.

Another thing I didn't like about the Rousseau was there was no means of leveling. I talked to them and they sent me a leveling kit. But it looked really flimsy. Gave the plate away with the table, but I actually still have the leveling kit some where.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Sag is a concern - is 1/4" aluminum plate thick enough or should I go to 3/8".

Also trying to figure out how to really anchor down an insert to reduce the opening for larger bits - it maybe just as easy to build 2 different plates - one for large bits and the other for small.

Can't believe how pricey the sliding miter gauges are - paying $100+ for one of those is obscene - any suggestions?

thanks

Reply to
butch

Why? My wife has asked a couple of time, "why don't you have a lathe?"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I did not have any problems with the Rousseau and I have the PC 7518. I may have used a spring-loaded self centering awl used to center hinge screws. I used a drill press to drill the holes. I'm sure you can salvage the plate.

BTW, I made a frame jig made from 4 pieces of 1/2" thick ply. These pieces are 8" longer and dadoed to make a nice sturdy frame. The extra length does two things: makes dados rather than (weaker) half lap joints, and provides plenty of clamping areas. The Rousseau instructions say to use two "L"s as a router guide to cut the hole, but the frame is much sturdier. I also made a test cut on some scrap mdf before cutting into my trimmed laminated router table top which I put several hours work.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have a Bench Dog router table and HAD a 3/8" thick Lexan plate and my Triton made it sag enough that folded 20# paper could easily be slipped under a straight edge in the middle. I had not suspected any sag until tennons cut in 2 passes were coming out stepped. For about 2 years a large Bosch had been hanging from the other side of the plate with no sag. Last week I switched to a 3/8" thick phenolic plate.

Reply to
Leon

Or get one of these:

Darrell Dorsey