Rousseau router plate UPDATE

Mounted my PC 7518 in the Rousseau plate in my new router table. Already see deflection on the outside edges when I place a straight edge along the width of the plate. Im not sure if the plate was defective before I set it up or not. Its been mouted with the router for 24 h.

I would return this thing but I already drilled it out for my router.

Think im gonna order a benchdoh aluminum plkate ($80.00). Should of gotten it to begin with.

Reply to
stoutman

Phisherman

Check out the woodpecker plate - it is 3/8" AL plate.

Reply to
butch

Thanks, Thats actually what I meant, woodpecker not benchdog. I think the saw dust is effecting my synapses. :)

Reply to
stoutman

I think thats what i wil do for now, but I might put in an order for the woodpecker Al plate. Its just a little pricey $80, but it comes predrilled.

Reply to
stoutman

I don't think you're seeing plate deflection. When I put my router table in storage I left my M12V hanging on the Rousseau in the table. There wasn't a scintilla of deflection when I took it out. So you say the M12V is no 7518? Okay, I'll give you that. The table was in storage for FIVE YEARS. I am unconvinced you're seeing plate deflection in less than, what, 24 hours? 48 at the outside? Uh-uh.

My offer from before still stands:

Send it to me. I love my Rousseaus. No reason not to have another one, even though it's been defaced, reducing its sale value to zero.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Like I said, not sure if it was defective before I set it up with my router. The plat is definitely has some curvature in the midle of the plate more towards the endges of the plate. It is sagging downward at the edges. Could of been that way before I set it up. I never put a straight edge against it until after it was supporting my router.

Reply to
stoutman

For those of us who have light wallets and are also tightwads, consider buying a plate and making it yourself. I have a metal fab place not far from me that stocks all manner of metal and when they cut metal plate on their shears - they are very accurate. Won't take long to drill the holes. Bet you could build 2 plates for less than $25.

Reply to
butch

My PC 7518 has been hanging under my Rousseau for about 6 months now and no signs of any deflection.

-- Al Reid

Reply to
Al Reid

Should I bring it back? Not sure they will take it back now that I drilled it out.

Reply to
stoutman

Take the router off and remove the plate from the table. Lay a straight edge across it and see if it is warped.

If it is, I would take it back and try to exchange it.

-- Al Reid

Reply to
Al Reid

Why, the Benchdog is a fine plate? What is important is the size since you already made a cut out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sagging downward at the edges? You mean sagging upward in the middle where the weight of the router is? I think that defies the laws of physics.

Are you aware that the Rousseau is built with a slight crown to ensure that the router bit is at the highest point in the plate. Drives some people nuts, but makes perfect sense to me.

Anyway, the physics defying phenomenon you describe sounds like the inherent crown. The Rousseau plate just does not sag from router weight.

Once again, my offer stands...

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

See my post elsewhere describing the slight crown that Rousseau builds into their plates to ensure that the router bit is at the highest point in the assembly.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Hey LRod,

Like I said in my OP "Already see deflection on the outside edges when I place a straight edge along the width of the plate" Not sure how else to get you to understand this problem. Let me spoon feed it to ya. Picture a square router plate. Now place a straight edge along the TOP of the plate near the edge. In the center of the straight edge you could place 2-3 playing cards underneath. This could also be explained as "sagging downward toward the edges". How does that defy physics? This newsgroup is only accessed from Earth right? What physics do you have going on in your workshop?

Yes I am aware of the crown, which as I understand it does not include sagging at the edges.

"The Rousseau plate just does not sag from router weight."

Ok, than LIKE I SAID TWICE BEFORE, maybe it was defective when I bought it.

Should I take a picture of it with the straight edge on top and post it in ABPW? Or will you claim that my staright edge needs to be calibrated?

Reply to
stoutman

How would have known it would warp or bow had you not hung the router on it. Take it back.

Reply to
Leon

Seems that you would end up with stepped tennons if you had to make more than 1 pass and moved the fence. And, if the plate bows up, how much trouble is it to insure that when you bolt it up to the router that the bit is perpendicular to the fence? I just replaced an old 3/8" thick Lexan plate that a Bosch 1611 had been hanging from for about 3 years. I retired the Big Bosch and mounted a Triton on the opposite side. 8 months later the plate sags enough that a folded piece of 20# paper easily slides under a straight edge. I had not noticed the sag until I started seeing stepped tennons. How much does the Rousseau bow up?

Reply to
Leon

Drilling it is a requirement and you would not see a warp until the weight is applied and used. It would be hard to test it with out mounting the router. They should have no problem with exchanging for another one.

Reply to
Leon

Well my Rousseau is a rectangle. It has 4 edges and 4 corners. So are you saying that on the 12" long top of the plate has a dip but the bottom 12" side does not have a dip? Well all of that should not have happened if your 1.5" thick tabletop is flat and you routed it a consistent depth. Next step would be to take out your calipers and measure the plate where it rests in the routed section.

I did not notice and crown in my plate until someone mentioned it. It routes fine. What more can ask? Of course my Bosch 1604 does not weigh that much. My 1611 weighs over 13 lbs so I would guess the 1604 might weigh 10 lbs.

Oh, take a picture. I do not have any clue what you are talk>Hey LRod,

Reply to
Jim Behning

And worth every penny. You'll love it.

Darrell