Roofing costs

Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That seems down right good to me.

Reply to
Markem

That sounds way too cheap. $350, right? You might want to get some more bids and expect them to be higher. Cheap is not always the best choice cuz you often get what you pay for.

Reply to
Leon

That should be $500 ($3500 total cost) not including the replacement skylight.

Reply to
Markem

Those darn zero's have little value until it is on the left side of the decimal.

$3500 sounds more in line.

Reply to
Leon

The value of proof reading is always apparent after I post something and then say, Crap!

Reply to
Markem

Just click the Edit button.

Usenet has an editing feature, doesn't it?

I never use it 'cuz I never make mitsakes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And when the price is too low,adly sometimes you don't even get that!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I think it changes even if I proof read. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I know it will clash with the rest of the house, but it could be a good sta rt for when you are going to have to have your shingles replaced. Have the m use a metal roof. They are guaranteed for 50yrs and, unless you have ver y large 4"+ hail, you do not have to worry about it. The cost is not much more, and in year of service life, less than shingles. IF you do go that r oute, sometime in the future, when they do the rest of the house, make sure they use 1x4's for the mounts and not 2x4's, for the simple reason squirre ls can get in between the metal and your existing room with 2x4's. Do not, under any circumstances allow them to put the metal flat on the roof, it w ill the underlayment to sweat, which destroys it.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I would warn against "any" metal roof!!!

About 20 years ago we had our other home reroofed with Alcoa aluminum cedar shake shingles. The price was just over double that of a replacement composition shingle.

The roof looked great but it leaked and this was only detectable from the stand point that the fascia around the perimeter of the house was constantly rotting and needing to be replaced. That was the only indicator and because the fascia was cedar and rotted anyway, before the metal roof, I never knew that the metal roof was contributing to the issue.

My son now ownes the house and got estimates to replace the aluminum roof with the same. The estimate was just shy of $40K. Turns out one of our past hurricanes was blamed for the failure and insurance paid for the replacement value. This on a 1,300 sqft home. AND the original warranty was lifetime!!!

Long story shorter, I advised him to take the money and go back to conventional, which he did.

Reply to
Leon