roofing

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my bearings on the prices for roofing work. One figure I've been given is $350/square. Does that sound reasonable? Would that figure include all the supplies like shingles and such?

Any pointers appreciated.....

Joe

Reply to
Joe Townsend

What does the term "sheeting" mean? Is that referring to tar paper?

Reply to
Ron Silverman

The price per square should be the price. Some contractors will add sheathing extra, but that all needs to be spelled out. Measure your roof for square feet and compute your cost. Negotiate an agreement with the contractor and have the total cost spelled out, type and brand of shingles, weight of paper and completion date.

Reply to
Professor

Roofing prices of course vary depending on local labor rates. They also vary greatly in the same cities from contractor to contractor. The price can also vary depending on the pitch of the roof. Make sure the contractor is honest, get addresses of other homes that they have done. Drive by, look at them and ask the owners about the contractor.

1) If you have one roof on your house and they are going to put on a second over the top of the first, then $350/square is expensive. 2) If they are tearing off one roof and do not have to sheet the roof and it includes dump fees, it is still a little high. I just paid around $250/square for this with a 30 year architectural shingle. 3) It sounds about the right price (in my area) for disposing of two roofs, resheeting if you have skip sheeting now and then putting on a new 30 year roof.

My roofer is a friend but I don't expect friends to cut me a deal on the price if it is their bread and butter. He told me not to get the 50year shingles. He said that he has gone back to three homes within five years from when he put them on to cut in skylights. The shingles had cracks all over the lower portion of them. He thinks that because they are so thick that they are not flexible enough to move without cracking. He said that they probably won't leak for 50years but they start to look bad well before that and there is no warranty for bad looks.

CR

Reply to
CR

Yes, it is very cheap No, it is very high

Take your pick. Flat roof or shingles? Type of shingles? Tear off needed? Simple pitched roof on a 1 story ranch or a three story Victorian with many ridges and valleys? Dormers?

Your question is like asking how much per pounds does a new car cost. More details are needed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My roof was pretty close to $250 a square and that included teardown and everything. There was a flat area, three peaks, dutch gutters, a cricket (not sure on spelling there) and about four valleys.....That was California pricing....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

"Joe Townsend" wrote

Wouldn't it make sense to ask the person which gave you the figure of $350 per square, what exactly is included? If you don't know, how is a group of people from all over the world supposed to know? It should be spelled out for you.

Reply to
Jones

Shop around and make sure all quotes are written and spell out, item by item, what costs what.

It helps if YOU specify exactly what you want in terms of sheathing replaced, weight of felt, linear foot of rubber membrane, type, color, and manufacturer and # of squares of shingles, and method to be used for valley treatment, etc. That way every estimate is on a level playing field.

I got 4 quotes. The one from the guy who drives the bright yellow HumVee and also has a pretty nifty jacked-up 4x4 pickup with every possible accessory sitting in his driveway, was quite a bit higher than the family man contractor who doesn't live as large.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

Depends, how close was it to the three quotes given to you by reputable local roofing contractors?

That figure would include everything that's listed in the quote and contract.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

No, he means, by "sheeting," plywood sheets (4' x 8'). Asphalt tile requires "sheeting" beneath it, but conventional wood shingles don't. I can't speak for the fancier types of roofing materials. "Ron Silverman" wrote

Reply to
John B