Warped Bamboo Cutting Board - Can It Be Flattened?

Can this be fixed? If so...how?

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

... make 2 ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

You, essentially, reverse the cause of the problem. Put it outside in the sun, convex side up. It will likely flatten out again.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The cutting board may have been left exposed in/near the window, where sunlight shone on it, heating/drying the concave side. If that was the case, then dampen the concave side.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Ask the manufacturer.

Reply to
Leon

If you only use one side attach, with elongated screw slots, attach straightening feet/runners on the bottom.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe the heat source was from something else, but a window related occurrence wouldn't fit my kitchen situation. Northern exposure, treed yard, one window over the sink, etc.

Maybe the under-the-counter LED strips? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I doubt they speak English.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not sure which side is curved, the top or the bottom. I wouldn't want to fix the wrong side.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ack! Thppt! (channeling Bill The Cat)

That's the largest of a set of 3. The other 2 are beginning to warp also.

Light weight and SWMBO likes cutting on them, but obviously they have issues. It's still interesting that they all just started warping at the same time.

There's more humidity now than during the winter, which is when they were bought. I'm going to blame it on that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Several days of rain or otherwise high humidity in the house?

Since all are affected, were the boards together where water could drip on them from above (leak of some kind)?

Leaned against the toaster?

The cause is because of one circumstance: one side has cupped or one side h as expanded. With the board that is least used, either place it in the sun or dampen as noted above. If for some reason the "fix" totally fails, ru ining the board, you'll still have 2 other boards for usage.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'd try treating it as if it's wood and see what happens...

When you wash it, wash both sides. Then stand it on edge until it?s dry.

That process evens out the moisture on both sides and the boards stay quite flat... any minor undulations or cupping are certainly not perceptible in use.

I also soak the maple end grain boards I make with mineral oil occasionally. I keep putting it on until it lays on the surface and doesn't soak in. Then I wipe off the excess and let it dry on edge. There is usually some weeping so I sit it on paper towels. Doing this keeps water from soaking into the grain as deep as it would if it were untreated wood.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I would try a few methods.

First, sand it to remove any finish.

!) a Wet towel/cloth over the board and iron it or some other steam option.

2) Wet towel/cloth on board and lay in the sun.

3) Soak the entire thing in water, remove, lay something heavy on it to flatten and let dry.

Once flattened, refinish it to seal it.

Reply to
Hawk

Maybe

Together, yes; Leak, no.

No

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Easy to do. Heat a rectangular pan of water t0 117 to 119 degrees. Face the short end of the pan north if you do it before 6 PM, south after 6 PM. Lay the board in the water for 8 1/5 minutes, basting constantly.

Remove board from the pan and place it in the garage or driveway. convex side up, and park the car with left front wheel on it for three days. Repeat as needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've found that the best way to get mineral oil absorbed deep into the wood grain is to heat the wood up with a paint stripping gun (used gently - don't scortch) coat it with oil, and allow to cool. The heat drives much moisture and air out, and as it cools the oil is drawn into the grain.

I've done this in situ with a maple butcheblock kitchen counter.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

DerbyDad03 on Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:51:02 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

My own suspicion is that the "top" side absorbed moisture from what was being cut on it, or from being wiped down. Or an increase in humidity and the damp air was not able to get to the "bottom". Regardless one side ("the top") was able to absorb more than the other resulting in differential expansion. My recommendation would be to wet the bottom, or just turn it over. In the future, you might want to store them so that there is even air flow on both sides, so that both sides get to absorb / dry "evenly".

Other options for fixing it might include wetting it down, and then putting a cast iron pot on the bow to force it down. Might.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

While I'm not disagreeing, it just seems strange that the 3 boards in the set all warped at the same time. As far as SWMBO and I can recall, they were flat one day, warped the next. The one in the image is the largest. You can see by the amount of warp that it's not something that could have sneaked up on us. We would have noticed it way before it got that bad.

They are stored on end in this, so there is lots of air flow:

After our vacation, I'll give some things a try. I have huge poundage of steel plates. Flattening it, even dry, won't be an issue. Maybe I'll just bolt it to a 10 pound plate. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

These boards are made of bamboo and are pretty thin. Not sure what kind of glue was used. Not sure if they would absorb mineral oil. I'll look into it .

Reply to
DerbyDad03