fireplace box - can it be painted?

I have a 19 year old townhouse. In a corner of the living room is a fireplace, with a pretty ugly black "box" (not sure if the correct term for this firebox is 'insert' or not?). It is painted black by the manufacturer and through the years (before I moved in) has acquired some scratches on the front of it. Besides the scratches, I also repainted the living room including the trim and the black firebox doesn't match. Is there a special type of heat resistant paint I could use to paint the front of this fire box? Or am I stuck with the factory black?

mark

Reply to
mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom)

Is it a flat finish , not ceramic. I found once green stove paint. it is maybe 1100f paint. Some automotive stores have maybe 900f paint. Call a stove co or fireplace store they will know

Reply to
m Ransley

On 1/31/2005 11:10 PM US(ET), mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom) took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Rustoleum makes a spray paint suitable for barbecue grills (gloss and matte). If not, an automotive finish suitable for exhaust manifolds may work.

Reply to
willshak

Stove paint should work, although it will be less durable than a real baked enamel, and you'll probably have to sand the surface first to make a non-gloss surface. Any color but black or grey is going to show soot, if this is a wood-burner.

Reply to
Goedjn

I'll second that. Or any high temp automotive paint. And don't worry about the temp rating of the paint. Even if you have paint only rated for 500 F that should be ok, and if it starts to burn, you know you are operating the insert at too high a temp for safety. BTW, I used high temp auto paint to paint a 3" square steel tube I used for air distribution in a fireplace heating system and the tube was exposed to direct heat from the fire about 8-12 inches away. It still looks the same after years of operation.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Stoves and fireplace inserts should never be operated with a surface temp of 900 F. Anything higher than 500 is getting dangerous.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon