Baseboards - can they be glued?

This may be a basic question well known in the fields but I've only seen the one way.

When installing the pre-formed light wood baseboards, I've only seen them STAPLED with narrow crown staples. I had to pull some out to re-do a floor and need to re-install them. I sanded and painted them while they were off. While I could use my compressor and air stapler easily enough, I was wondering if it was ever common to use any glues such as Liquid Nails or contact cement?

Having to brace the boards until glue sets might be a bit more cumbersome than stapling but if I staple, I would have to come back and fill in the indentations and re-paint over the repairs. This would be less an issue for new construction where everything needs to be painted anyway but I have a large incentive to not want to have to do this.

My main question is - is there any problem I don't know with the gluing? And what glue is best?

Thanks

Reply to
Apropos

I've done this, don't know if it's kosher or not.

Reply to
roger61611

Glue and bracing is a problem that can be overcome. What about 5 or 10 years from now if you decide to remove them again for some reason? You may make quite a mess doing that.

Try using 18 gauge brads instead of the staples. Brads care barely be seen and may be a good compromise.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I installed baseboards in my basement I used finishing nails. However one wall is poured concrete so I used construction adhesive (Liquid Nails) and used sandbags to hold the baseboard against the wall for 24 hours. It has held up well for over 10 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

No .... it's uncommon. Not wrong, just not common. Usual practice is 18 guage brads -- 1 9/16th".

If you need to remove one ... you'll have a problem.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

I had to use glue once when there was too little room on the trim to nail into (could not nail into floor - it was tiled). I did have a problem - the paint bubbled up afterward. I suppose because I didn't let the glue dry long enough? But you have already painted so won't be a problem for you.

Reply to
jeffc

Thanks for the info.

I will likely try the brads, since they will make much less a hole in the baseboard not really requiring cover-up.

Reply to
Apropos