Rockler Pipe Clamp

I read the article a while back in FWW about bar clamps and saw the Rockler scored very well with its many features. Rockler was nice enough to go and put them on special, even offering free shipping in their latest catalog and I was ready to lay down the cash with an order. Then I had to go and do a damn fool thing like ask where they were made. I've always been a bit persnickity about that but even more so as my toy er I mean tool collection grows. Unfortunately the reply came back "Tiawan".

Oh well, off to Menards tomorrow to take advantage of their "bag sale" and pick up some Jorgensen Ponies. They were runner up in the article as I recall and they are made in the US

Daryl

Reply to
daryl1138

Assuming your concerns about stuff made in Taiwan have nothing to do with the current gov't there making noises about declaring independence from the mainland... Just out of simple curiosity -- certainly not trying to pick a fight about anything -- I'm wondering if you ever felt the same way about stuff made in Japan? I do recall that there was a time when their stuff was of crappy quality. Is your concern that you want to buy Made in the USA? What if they were made in Japan? Or, have you simply had so many bad experiences with Taiwanese quality that you won't buy their stuff? Something else? I asking as might a market researcher (which I am not). TIA. -- "Curious near the Capitol" (Igor)

Reply to
igor

I just don't understand. You were excited at the low price they were being offered, then abandoned them when you found out why they were being offered at a low price. Tiawan has the worlds finest manufacturing processes, bar none.

I'm not suggesting everything manufactured there is of the highest quality, but much of it is. Their electronics and computer chip plants are the worlds best.

Of course some things made in the US are premium quality as well, and sometimes at a decent price. However in my clamp collection I have 6 36" bar clamps (low priced) which are by far the worst clamps I've ever used. They are no-name but clearly stamped "Made in USA"

Reply to
TaskMule

I'm with Igor- are your reason's political, or are you seeking the best quality? Taiwanese products can usually be differentiated from mainland Chinese stuff.

If your reasons are political, fine. I can not speak to that, it may be that we should all boycott their products, and buy from our neighbors.

But in today's world- who are our neighbors?

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Fine Woodworking already spoke to the quality so that was not of concern and personally, I am not overly concerned with the politics either. I am just one the growing numbers that find value in shopping as local as possible. I am not passing judgment on those who choose otherwise I am just put the info out there for those who would like to know.

Daryl

Dan Valleskey wrote:

Reply to
daryl1138

Thanks. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

I don't know what Rockler said about these clamps but I have yet to see a pipe clamp made in Taiwan that was worth a D---. Most opions by the likes of Rockler are tainted by the $. I made some bad mistakes buying US made Craftsman Pipe clamps years ago that are very poor also, good pipe clamps are worth their money, others are just so much junk, to me.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Quality can be had from Taiwan or china. It all depends on who they are being made for and what was ordered. You can buy made in USA crap and you can get made in Usa quality. Just how much do you want to support your country. And keep the dollar here. If the US and china were in a basketball game who would you want to win? Guess the other think is, if you don't want to help support my job, why should I try to help your job. Maybe we buy everything overseas and walk down our roads paved in gold.

Reply to
O D

I've been using the Rockler clamps for about a year now, and I prefer them to the old orange ones. Making something as simple as this is easily within the capabilities of both Americans and Taiwanese so there doesn't appear to be much difference. The Rocklers are just as secure (they're virtually copies) but simply raising them above the work surface makes them much easier to use. The wider feet are a definite plus, and their faces are drilled so you can add a wood or plastic face that won't scratch. Both clamps are good for almost any type of work and I really haven't had any need for the $35 German clamps (not that they're not excellent) so I pick up a set everytime Rockler has them on sale.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Neither have I, I have not paid anyway near that.

If you say so, I am sure the Rockler clamps are OK. Being simple to make of course is not at all an indication that anything will be made acceptable. The last Taiwan "C" clamp I was foolish enough to buy, the casting broke in two with just very slight pressure. Now I pick up used made in USA clamps at public auctions, garage sales.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner