Rigid Vs. DeWalt

I need a 12" Compound Miter Saw for rough framing. I will not use it for trim work. I don't want a sliding model. I'm trying to decide between DeWalt and Rigid.

Among many of their other products, I own a 14" DeWalt Chop Saw for metal cutting. It's a great tool.

I have never purchased a Rigid power tool. From the touching and feeling that can be done in a Home Depot, the tools seem to be made with durable plastics like the DeWalts. What cannot be seen is the materials used in the gears and transmissions.

I'm only 20 years old, so maybe you "old timers" can weigh in, but does it look to you like the Rigids are trying to take up where Craftsman fell off (Lifetime warranty, house brand, etc.)?

The company history certainly cannot be questioned. They pioneered the modern-day monkey wrench after all.

I guess, I don't think the LASERs are a big selling point for a serious contractor, and will not be so for me. In my experience, they become more annoying and innacurate than helpful. I probably wouldn't even put it on the arbor if I bought the Rigid.

So, my question remains: 12" Rigid Miter Saw or 12" DeWalt Miter saw?

Reply to
aabruno

Of the two choices, Dewalt

Dave

Teamcasa

At your age the only thing that should be Ridgid is not the saw. BTW, the DeWalt has a decent blade. Even better after a good sharpening.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ridgid IS top of the line. They are owned by Tectronics, the parent company that also makes Ryobi, and now owns Milwaukee. Ridgid air-tools now carry LIFEtime warranty on them. Many of the saws have 5 year warranty, and some lifetime. Buy the Ridgid. Scrap the Laser. I am a contractor, and have lots of brands and lots of tools. As tools fail, I replace with Ridgid. They are here to stay. Remember, Dewalt is just Black and Decker with a yellowcase.

Reply to
richdedo

Isnt that kind of like saying Ridgid is just Ryobi with a orange case?

Reply to
Don

If you accept his statement about B&D and DeWalt tools, the corollary is that Milwaukee is just a Ryobi.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think we can all agree that it is in a company's best interest to appeal to all buyers by making contractor lines and home owner lines. Of course they are not the exact same. Come on...

OKAY, back to the Miter Saw question...

I would love to discover RIDGID as a serious brand that I can trust, but at the same time I don't want it to be a $300 mistake in the name of curiousity.

The RIDGID tools look good. I'd like to invest in Techtronic Industries, but they are traded in Hong Kong. My dad and brother just got back from a 10-day trip to China. It's not what we think it is. They are an up and coming economic superpower. Everything there was ultra high tech. China's no joke. They can make some good stuff. If a worker in a RIDGID factory in the States messed up, the boss would hessitate to yell at them in fear of a union grievence. In China, they would cain the guy. I think we ought to give the foriegn tools (power tools) more credit this day in age.

That said, all the power tools in America have foriegn made parts. DeWalts are just put together in the States.

Either way, it would be helpful to hear from someone with first hand experience with either.

Reply to
aabruno

I think you need to consider the age as well as the manufacture. In my opinion tools that haven't changed much in time you are better off restoring an old one, this goes for anything with a metal casting , lathe, drill press , table saw, hand plane, hammer, etc.

of course not to compare them with some of the newer stuff which has advantages, CNC lathe, sawzall, production machinery.

For home use I like to hunt at garage sales for old, tried and true tools. lots of brands have cheapened up over the years.

Phil

Reply to
mrhuntnpeck

I would take Dewalt over Ridgid any day. And I'm very happy with my Ridgid jointer. Dewalt tools are respected by just about everyone, except for their jigsaws, which seem to be universally reviled.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Like anything else, every tool company builds good stuff and bad stuff. If you decide to go with one brand exclusively you are doing yourself a disservice. Porter Cable makes great sanders. Their profile sander sucks. DeWalt makes pretty good drills, their sanders are not the best. Delta had great tools. Their sharpening center probably could not be worse. As for Ridgid, its ROS is made by Metabo IIRC which is a great brand tool. Then again their drills seem way too heavy. IMHO unless you know what particular tool is being manufactured by which company, it may boil down to flipping a coin as to whether to buy a Ridgid tool or not.

Reply to
Leon

You won't make a mistake with either, the same way that you wouldn't make a mistake buying a Toyota over a Honda and vice-versa (and please, let's not argue cars!).

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

On 29 Apr 2005 20:31:30 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.gov" wrote: My only experience with Rigid, other that excellent pipe wrenches, is their 14" (home depot) band saw..

As I learned from this group, it's an "Elephant" brand, made by the chiwanese and sold as Rigid, Grizzly, and probably lots more brands.. In the short time that I've had it, it's been a very good saw... and the griz riser block fit it..

I love my dewalt biscuit jointer... but not being brand loyal, I have no idea how either rigid OR dewalt make CMS or if they might be the same saw..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"Leon" wrote in news:cxKce.4388$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

Their jigsaw is also the Metabo in a different color and $20 cheaper. I like my Metabo jigsaw lot (chose it over the Bosch because it felt less plasticky :-) I'm glad I can get parts for it at Home Depot via the Ridgid brand.

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

One of the latest issues of a WW magazine tested jig saws and put the Ridgid and Metabo on top over the latest Bosch. Imagine...

Reply to
Leon

A monkey wrench and a pipe wrench are two diferent things.

Reply to
CW

Check the warrenty. I bet it says lifetime of the tool.

Reply to
CW

And the "Ridgid" name has been licensed for the power tools--it's the pipe-wrench Ridgid at all...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

and a Lexus is a Toyota.

Reply to
Robatoy

serious

For rough work, either will do. So the question is "How long will they last?" FWIW, my Dewalt 12" cratered before it wore out its second blade. Was charged over $150 for the repair. Not satisfactory performance.

ray

Reply to
Ray_Manor

I just bought a $120 5" metalworking (utility) vise from Milwaukee. The jaws won't clamp down in parallel, the pipe jaws are 1/4" out of alignment, and the paint job is absolutely atrocious. Knowing I could return it, I actually laughed out loud at the quality.

From my (albeit limited) experience, Milwaukee is just a red Ryobi.

Reply to
Mark Cooper