Ridgid TS 3650

The previous post prompted my memory on something I wanted to post about this TS. Two things prompted me to buy the saw, a review in " "(I forget which) woodworking mag and the dust port.

Brought my new saw, ran a 2 1/2" hose to the dust port and promptly had as much dust on the floor as I had under my old Tiawaneese knock off. I was/am running a zero clearance insert and could not figure why I wasn't getting the dust collection I bought the saw for.

If you will check, the shroud around the blade leaves a lot of open space around the top - it has to be open to allow you to swing the blade.

Solution: Redesign the shroud to be air tight.

Problem: The solution costs a lot and Ridgid probably would not do the retrofits for free.

Cheap Solution: Get three or four strong magnets (1 x 1 1/2 x 1/4) and a sheet of heavy plastic. Cut the plastic to fit down the outside of the removeable portion of the shroud, holding it in place with the tenons on the bottom. (make sure the plastic does not block the dust port) Attach the plastic to the table with the magnets.

Bingo, no more sawdust and you can still swing the blade over for the miter cuts.

Deb

Reply to
Delbert Freeman

Even cheaper: I duct taped a piece of cardboard to block off most of it. I can still tilt the blade somewhat.

I have a short length of hose attached to the port which hangs into a box sitting under the saw. If I don't feel like hooking it up at least the worst of the stuff ends up in the box. If I do hook it up, it's easier to get the end of the short hose than to get down to find the port.

Hooked up or not, it still makes a mess on top of the saw depending on the type of cut.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Back when I had a contractor's saw, I did the same.

My cardboard had the hole cut to allow full travel, with a second part that covered all but the 0-5 degree range. The second cover was held in place by velcro.

It made a huge difference.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Still cheaper: My 3650 is outside and I let the wind blow the saw dust into the desert for mulch..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Okay buddy ... you fertilize it - you mow it!

;-)

Reply to
BillinDetroit

NO WAY!

One of the big motivators for moving here was NO friggin' yard work..

BTW, I got 2 of those inserts from Peachtree and they work well..

2 problems, neither serious:

The little pin in the back was too small (diameter) for the fit I wanted, so I put a solder less wire connector on each pin..

The inserts didn't have the starting slot on the bottom like the ones from Lee Valley did, so it was a little bit of a hassle making the zero clearance slot.. I have 10" blades and 7 1/4 ones for the circular saw.. would have been very nice to have a 9" blade with the same kerf as my 10".. I had to cut the slot with the smaller blade and then widen the slot on the bottom side with a rotary burr, so I had enough clearance to install the insert over my 10" blade.. Overall, I'm very happy with the fit, quality and price... The dado one was a lot easier since all I have is a wobble blade... I just set it to 3/4" and brought the blade up to cut the slot..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Mac; next time you need an insert, you might look into the ones from M&D Mower. They are Ridgid parts AC1045 for the zero clearance and AC1040 for the Dado. The zero clearance goes right over the 10" blade for the up cut and the dado insert is already cut out. I got two zero's and one dado shipped to Tx. for $37.83. Don't know how that would work for you "down south" FWIW Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

Thanks, Bill..

I tried to order the inserts from Ridgid, but they don't ship US Mail.. We got a 2nd PMB box in the states that uses a street address, so now we can receive UPS, etc.. The down side is that we have to GO to Calif. to pick up packages... about 3 hours each way if the border crossing isn't too backed up..

If I had to do it again, I'd find someone that had a 9" blade and borrow it...

*g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I replaced my dad's old Craftsman 10" TS with my Rigid, sold the old one and then a couple of weeks later, found a couple of inserts I had made for the Craftsman that I had never installed or cut slots in. They are the same size as the Rigid. Have not tried to test fit them yet, but they look like they will fit.

Bill Hall wrote:

Reply to
mapdude

Reply to
Bill Hall

Had that problem with a temporary one that I was using... an Allan head screw in the lower rear lip worked fine...