Thanks for all the responses about newsreaders. It will keep me busy for a while checking out a suitable one.

Sam

Reply to
Sambo145

If you decide on Agent and need a registration key I can email you the one I am using which I found on the internet.

Reply to
jaime

Tight ass bastard, its 29 US dollars for a licence for software you use every day AND get free upgrades for.

Reply to
No Spam

Further, they have a very usable _free_ version of it. Geez, some people . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

I prefer to keep my *Canadian* dollars. Thanks eh.

************************************** I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*. Is it ironic that he lives on a farm? **************************************
Reply to
jaime

jaime wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There are more than a few software people inhabiting this virtual space. Hence, we often feel it is our livelihood being threatened.

Given the low cost and/or free software made available....

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

That's really pretty low. Actually, it's stealing. Nothing particularly admirable about that.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Some crooks feel pretty proud of stealing, willing to share their loots with others. There are crooks even in Canada!

Reply to
WD

Well sweetie when one is on as limited as a budget as I personally am and trying to raise 2 teenage sons on top of it, by myself I might add, without the physical help or the financial resources of a husband, I try to save money where I can.

I think my boys having full bellies at night, decent clean clothes to go to school in and a roof over thier heads every day is more important and much more admirable then buying pricey software at the computer store.

If it wasn't for the help of my father at times I do not know what we would do. If it wasn't for him I would not even have a computer or an internet connection. If it was not for him my boys would not even have had Christmas gifts or a Christmas dinner this past holiday season.

Before you know *exactly* what my living situation is do not judge me. I try my best each and every day but since my heart attack last year, my best is getting tougher to accomplish but I will try until they put me in that pine box, nail the lid shut and toss that first shovelfull of dirt over me.

************************************** I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*. Is it a coincidence that he lives on a farm? **************************************
Reply to
jaime

I can understand how you feel but there are many people out there who cannot afford the high costs of many of these software programs.

Bill Gates has made *billions* off of people for software it probably cost him less to manufacture then what he retails it for.

************************************** I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*. Is it a coincidence that he lives on a farm? **************************************
Reply to
jaime

Okay!! I am out of here. Bye.

************************************** I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*. Is it a coincidence that he lives on a farm? **************************************
Reply to
jaime

One would certainly hope this is the case. If a business cannot sell its product for more than it costs to manufacture, that business will not remain in business long. (The old saw, "We're losing $5 per unit we sell, but that's OK, we'll make up for it in volume" doesn't work in the real world).

What gets people irate with Bill is the fact that his company has engaged in some significant strong-arm tactics and questionable tactics that, in many peoples' mind are borderline unethical in order to maintain its operating system monopoly. The fact that Msoft makes money is not the issue, it's how it prevents competition and subjugates users and computer manufacturers.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

jaime wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Bill Gates isn't the issue here. He's no hero of mine, but that's not the point.

Free software is available to do the job as well or better. Folks donated that effort into the public domain so that you and I don't have to make an ethical decision to use, without compensating the author(s), software which has not been so donated.

I didn't, and don't, want to make an issue of it. You are free to make your own choices. But there are those here who feel strongly about this. Since you are relatively new to this venue, I thought maybe you'd like to know why some are offended.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

He wouldn't have made a nickel if it cost the same or more to manufacture it.

Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

jaime wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There are 2 points made in this thread:

  1. It is generally considered unethical to use software without paying for it if you should have paid for it according to the license.

  1. There is plenty of free software available for much of what one wants to do on a computer.

Personally, I didn't like Agent when I tried it years ago, after NS was giving me fits. Since then I have used Xnews with hardly a problem. It may take a few days getting used to it, but Agent was giving me fits as well.

Reply to
Han

Don't call me sweetie, my wife is the jealous type.

I made no judgments jamie. I don't know you at all so I have to take your word for who and what you are and that's fine by me. I made a simple statement. It's stealing, it's illegal and it's wrong. Justify it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that there are plenty of absolutely free programs out there that work just fine. You know that it's wrong and if you were the victim of someone stealing from you, I'm sure you'd have a lot to say about it. That would be your right. Dragging out the old "if you only knew how hard I have it" line really does not bring any justification to the matter. Do you know what the living conditions of anyone in this newsgroup are? Are you certain that there are not plenty of people in situations similar to yours? Maybe a lot of them pirate software too, but they don't brag about it in a usenet post and offer to share the ill gotten gains. Maybe a lot of them find alternatives to taking what is not theirs.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And the point is?

Reply to
Mike Marlow
[snip]

Sob. Another part of raising children (in my mind anyway) is imparting a sense of ethics and right or wrong. Bragging to the world about stealing software seems counter to that goal.

Kind of like smoking dope in front of them while telling them how bad it is for them.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

It's OK to steal and share it with others.

Reply to
WD

============================= I have no problem paying for software that I can install on all of my home computers... BUT I do have a problem with the fact that I can not Buy a single copy of Windows XP and install it on each of my computers ... In a case like that I would resort to "stealing"

Imagine owning a Forrest WW11 blade and can only use it on one tablesaw...

Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.