Removing stainless steel trim head screws

Without going into a lot of detail, I have to remove about 200 stainless steel trim head screws from a deck made of Cambara. When I have used my power drill in the past, the heads have broken off because the stainless steel is soft. If I grip my T-10 bit in a vice grip, I can slowly ease the #8 x 2 1/2" screws out but I am hoping to find a faster solution. The base of the T-10 bit will not fit in any of my english or metric sockets (just a hair lose in 1/4" and too tight in 7/32"). I wish when my dad died 30 years ago that I had taken the brace from his tool collection but I not. The ideal tool would be a 3 jaw reversible ratchet brace but they are expensive. I can't find a neighbor that has a brace. Does anyone have a better idea than my vice grip?
TIA.
Dick Snyder Souothborough, MA
On 9/2/2018 10:21 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Wow, I just looked at the price of a ratchet brace and was surprised. Mine is about 50 years old and rarely used.
I do have a thought. How about a T handle used to hod a tap? If you give the screw a turn or so, will that loosed it enough to come out with the power drill and not break?
On 9/2/2018 9:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Along the same lines (more or less), how about an adjustable torque impact driver? I have a little Bosch 12v that really does a nice job removing and setting screws. You can adjust the force applied (on or off) and I find that little bit of vibration - just enough to rock its world but not enough to torque it off - usually does the trick.
On 9/2/18 9:21 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:

My first thought would be a stripped screw extractor. They work pretty well and you can get fairly fast at it.
Are you removing/replacing the decking boards? If so, why not cut the screws off underneath the decking? A sawzall with a bi-metal blade would make quick work of it.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/2/2018 10:21 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Get a T-10 bit with a standard 1/4" base. Or shim the one you have.
On 9/2/2018 1:27 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:

This is a good idea. I am replacing the deck boards but am unable to cut off anything below. If I can get t-10 with a standards base, I would be able to use my stanard socket wrench which will get the job done quickly.
Thanks.
Dick

A couple of options come to mind:
Lowes has in stock for pickup today (in the several stores nearest Southborough, MA) a 1/4" drive T-10 torx socket item 338200 model 85998 for $1.98. It's Kobalt brand, have no idea how well it will hold up, but you should be able to use it with your socket set more conveniently than a hex bit.
Lee Valley has for $11.50 an adapter that holds 1/4" hex bits in a _4_ point brace, which if you don't have one are available for cheap on Amazon ($12-30 range for Chinese).

Break the screws loose by hand with a ratchet & 1/4" socket, then use the drill/magnetic nut driver/T-10 to remove.

Do you have a speed wrench in your socket set? Same idea as a brace 1/4 inch socket with a bit of slick tape on the bit to take up the slack.

what's wrong with a bit-holder socket? the magnetic ones are nice and available pretty cheap - but the ones with a spring work just as well and are even cheaper.

Nothing but if you have not got one and you have other tools, so I was just suggesting ideas.

I.ve found using the right tool for the job is generally a LOT simpler
On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 9:01:52 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:

A wise man once said to me "If you are working too hard, you are probably using the wrong tool."

Okay be as you will be, but right may not be what someone has.
On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 1:10:37 AM UTC-4, Markem wrote:

But right is something that one can often get.
The OP has indicated a willingness to purchase/borrow the right tool, so he's certainly not limited to using only what he has.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 05:25:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 05:25:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I offered a suggestion, Clare Snyder questioned me, I denigrated no ones ideas by making a suggestion.

As easy and cheap as it is to have the right tool there REALLY is no excuse to bodge things. And the right tool will be usefull for MANY other jobs as well.
Generally speaking, Snyders like havingthe right tools on hand.

I have torx that fit a 3/8s drive so that would be my right tool.