Recommendations For Glue Line Ripping on TS?

Reply to
JGS

Here I thought the surface was all about finer scratches.

You certa> >More teeth make better cuts if you have a good fence and a good arbor - and

Reply to
George

I note that, as in the jointer thread, some seem to reference the blade, some the end-to-end deflection of the fence.

Try 1/32 (limit of precision on my 16ths rule) difference from the front to rear of the fence. Note that degree of blade exposure will cause the difference to vary if you use the blade as a reference.

Oh yes, as my blade is set parallel to the miter groove, I use it as my reference.

Reply to
George

That's not a unique view, it is an accurate one and I would wager one that

*most* have.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:56:35 -0800, Dave Fleming brought forth from the murky depths:

Iffen you want somethin' ta set yer sails on fire, get with the Lemonhart 151 Demerara rum. It saved me during an auto wreck (I was a loose passenger) one eve.

Public Service Message: Don't Grog and Drive machinery.

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques responds:

Dunno about car wrecks and booze, but one dark night, in a little Puerto Rican town near Rosie Roads, I topped up with enough half a buck a glass 151 rum of some generic type to discover exactly what knee-walking-drunk was. The next day dawned bright and clear, but I didn't.

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

Damn ... I missed that same sunrise ... but it was in OK, with the Captain's wife, and we were drinking Beefeaters and Rose's lime juice.

Reply to
Swingman

On 29 Jan 2004 19:23:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

I wasn't too bad, considering. I had bought a quart of Lemonhart and 2 2-liter bottles of Pepsi that evening. About 2 hours later, the Pepsi was gone. A friend who hadn't been drinking came over and I had him take me down to get more soda. On the return, we encountered a low-flying VW bug. The girl was coming down the road at over 60mph (in a 25 zone, of course) with headlights so dim we didn't even see her until she was 20 feet out and we were halfway through the turn onto my street. She hit us head on and my head hit the roof, bowing it outward. My nose cracked the windshield, my chin broke the dashboard, and I was knocked unconscious for a minute. (It was lucky that I had my seat belt on, huh?)

The VW bounced hard from the impact, knocking the driver's seat off its track. She was pinned under the steering wheel on the gas pedal. It was still in gear because the bug kept on going, hitting the brick wall on the right side of the road and veering across the street, through a ditch, and in through the wall of the duplex into their kitchen before stopping. Her friend in the back seat had seen it coming and had grabbed her 2-year old daughter and shielded her. They were OK. She was paralyzed from the waist down.

When I came-to, my buddy got me out of the car and seated on the curb next to the wreck to wait for the ambulance. Just before they left without me, my buddy pointed me out to them. The neck brace went on and I spent a long night in the hospital. Strangely enough, my skull, nose and jaw weren't broken. My neck muscles were bruised and I had a mild whiplash, but I returned home the next day and took it easy at work for about a month.

The cops questioned me that night in the hospital, noted the wee teensy bit of booze on my breath, and went away to let me sleep it off. The insurance companies wrote off both cars as total wrecks that next week and I was left to go get more soda on my own. She was cited and her insurance company paid for my buddy's car.

Yeah, I'm kinda glad I quit drinking 18 years ago. Luckily, a couple weeks later, the girl regained the use of her legs. I'll bet she did NOT buy another VW and did learn how to drive a bit more slowly, but I never heard from her again. I saw her for about 30 seconds on the way into the hospital.

And that, sir, is why I remember Demerara rum so vividly.

(Whaddya mean, "What does this have to ripping glue lines?"?)

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

snip of story

I quit 17 years ago, but the incident in PR was maybe 40 years ago (maybe my butt, it was in December of '61).

Not nearly as scary as yours, though.

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:39:56 -0800, Dave Fleming scribbled:

BTDT. Clamp a bunch of them together face to face. Make sure the clamps are shorter than the planer is wide, and that there's no chance of the blades hitting the clamps

Luigi Note the new email address. Please adjust your krillfiles (tmAD) accordingly Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On 30 Jan 2004 07:33:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

I made you think I quit then by the placement of my text. I didn't quit then but drank for 7 more years. The two incidents were entirely unrelated.

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

CMT general blade very good. Tenryu general purpose outstanding. These blades have a lot of teeth for ripping; I like a dedicated rip blade with more like 20 teeth; cheaper to sharpen as well as low feed pressure with a 15 to 20 degree hook. Freud "glue line rip" good.Howe

Reply to
H. Cochran

Actually, Luigi, since the ripped pieces are about 1x2, I just gang a bunch of them face to face as you described and run them through without clamps.

For planks with a higher aspect ratio, I made a sled out of MDF with a vertical riser dadoed in at a precise 90-degree angle. I clamp the thinner planks to the riser to clean up the riped face.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen