Re: Wood Screw Choice

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 08:00:55 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@hoo.com wrote: >

>>Someone asked sometime back about the recex screws offered at >>
Well, I bought em', and I am sold. The recex >>design is sweet, the combo drive worx well and the price was fine. > >The recex screw has been around a while as a quality screw mostly in >production situations >> >>I can't get these locally so this will be fine for me. I got them in >>3 different lengths and I also bought some 3 1/2" washer head screws >>for cabinet mounting. > >Our big box stores are not concerned with carrying quality screws, >just high margin screws. >> >>I have never used a screw as aggressive as these and the nibs do >>indeed prevent the need for countersink drilling. I guess it is the >>prelube that makes them so smooth on the drive. If you have not tried >>them, you ought to. >> >The prelubed screws are certainly much easier to drive and with the >cutting threads, the combination makes short work of a long screw. Not >that I am in favor of short screws, I like them all, I just don't >always have time for a long screw. > >>Hootie

After visiting the website and seeing the screws, it is no wonder. These are the woodmasters from pan american. They have the doggone serrated threads.

They go through wood like the proverbial "hot knife through butter". I also ordered some and had them in just a couple of days. These are some kick-a** screws!

Look at this picture of 'em -

you can see why they chew up the wood.

Art

Reply to
Art Dekko

They look very similar to the german Spax screws, which also have serrated threads and the external ones are available prelubed.

Chris Friesen

...yeah, I bought some Spax screws through McFeely's awhile back and they work reeeeeeeal good. Looks like the same technology...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh