Which Eurolock?

I'm going to replace the locks on my doors and next door's (doors). They are about 21 years old and of a type very easy to bump/snap (the neighbour's front lock has ~15mm sticking out as it was changed for the wrong size!).

I've found 3 types and wonder which would be the best. Apart from price, they have different designs to combat snapping.

The Avocet can be snapped on a deliberate slit, leaving the lock operable from the inside

UAP is a /lot/ cheaper but appears to have all the attributes required
3rd. type (can't see a name as such) has a hardened pin to reinforce the barrel so that it can't be snapped
price is between the other 2.

Any opinions/facts on these please, before I spend quite a lot of money?

Reply to
PeterC

> The UAP is a /lot/ cheaper but appears to have all the attributes required >

> The 3rd. type (can't see a name as such) has a hardened pin to reinforce the

Evva 3ks get good reviews and can be keyed-alike for not much additional cost. Google Saunderson Security (no connection)

Reply to
Nospam

In article , PeterC writes

I assume you're using euro locks cos you've got placcy doors?

The holy grail if you must use euro is a cylinder guard with a bolt through feature or to have a very beefy handle that incorporates one.

Have a search for upvc euro "cylinder guard" but good luck as I don't think they have really taken off yet for plastic doors due to their inherent weakness to attack.

This one did come up on a search but I don't rate it that highly as it doesn't bolt through the door:

may also want to look at their PAS 24 (secure) door sets but they don't show the internal detail of the external handle so I can't see if it's any good or not:

supplier info either I'm afraid.

On the cylinders you mention:

On the Avocet you're paying for the dimples and they have a lovely big key slot just right for ramming a screwdriver in and butchering or maliciously blocking.

The UAP is ok and would do with a good cylinder guard handle.

The last one is the toughest of the three IMO but suffers from the same large key slot problem as the Avocet. From the BS license number quoted on the supplier's site it appears to be made by Magnum Superior Locks. If it is the one linked to in this pdf (2MB) then it is quite a lock for the money but don't expect to get copy keys too easily:

you think those cylinders are expensive, expect to have a fit at the cost of beefy, guarded door sets.

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

Ah, these aren't too bad if they fit:

fred

>>> The UAP is a /lot/ cheaper but appears to have all the attributes required >>

>>> The 3rd. type (can't see a name as such) has a hardened pin to reinforce the

Yikes! Four of those come to £280 - bit too much for me, but thanks for the link.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , fred writes

Sorry to follow up yet again.

Interesting video review of the Hoppe security handle:

noticed a few things I didn't like about it but it's still a lot better than the standard offering.

Video posted by the guys at Locksonline, nice bunch but their prices are a little higher than some.

links found on a search for: Hoppe security uPVC door handle

Reply to
fred

the front door is in full sun. ATM the handle is there mostly by habit!

A problem is that the handles are different from the modern ones, so I'm limited by what will fit. I'll look at those that you've posted and see if they'll be OK. At present I've found these that'll fit and appear to be cast:

thanks for your 2 posts after this one - I'm learning a lot!

Now I just have to find some of the various kepps and cockspurs that I need to refurbish my neighbour's 2 doors. I like to look after her a bit - no, not that way!. Although her current boyfriend is a senior officer in the Met. he lives too far away to be doing this sort of thing.

Reply to
PeterC